Countdown from five to one...

MENeelz

Surefire has the new picatiny rail forend for the M4 in stock and available. It's not shown in the online catalog, but you can order it by phone. The part number is M80. I ordered one today and it was shipped.

5. American made magazine tube ... check

4. Surecycle magazine follower ... check

3. American made forend ... check

2. ??? a hammer or trigger perhaps ? either one would do

1. a disconnector perhaps ??? -should be an easy part to duplicate.

Still not as cheap as filing a form 1, but any time you can avoid paying a tax, you should. It's an American's duty.

Sorry for the query... but I'm new and looking to come up to speed.

First there were "11" parts that needed to be brought down to 10 to make a fully functional 1014 legal...

...then there were "13" parts that needed to be brought down to 10 to make a fully functional 1014 legal....

.... are there now "15" parts!!???

I'm sure this has been done to death but here's a refresher:

§ 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of §178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

© For purposes of this section, the term "imported parts" are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

The parts breakdown for the M4 Super 90 is:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Bolt

4. Bolt carrier

5. Gas piston 1

6. Gas piston 2

7. Trigger housing

8. Trigger

9. Hammer

10. Disconnector

11. Buttstock

12. Pistol grip

13. Handguard

14. Magazine body

15. Follower

Replace 5 of those and you're gold. You do not have to have less than 10 parts.

A US made mag tube, follower, hammer, trigger, and disconnecter will get the job done.

I'm not up to speed on this 922R importation law. But I interpret the law as pertaining to manufacturers and home builders of fire arms. If the rifle has been manufactured, made it into the country legally... Then why would you have to change anything???

Please post information on why you need to modify anything...

Like I stated before...It would be easier & cheaper to do a form 1 or to stamp US Made on the parts in question. Who can say they aren't US made?

I'm not up to speed on this 922R importation law. But I interpret the law as pertaining to manufacturers and home builders of fire arms. If the rifle has been manufactured, made it into the country legally... Then why would you have to change anything???

Please post information on why you need to modify anything...

Like I stated before...It would be easier & cheaper to do a form 1 or to stamp US Made on the parts in question. Who can say they aren't US made?

A form 1 is "only" $200.00 IF you can get local LE approval on it. Then you have a firearm that you can only transfer "as is" to a SOT (Special Occupational Tax) FFL holder. (aka Class III dealer) Otherwise you have to put it back into original trim.

Why would you have to change anything? Many reasons. Here are my reasons in order of importance:

1. It renders the firearm more functional for defensive use.

2. It pi$$es off Senators Feinstein, Schumer, Clinton, Biden, and others to name a few, along with causing severe gastritis and postmenopausal cramping in Sarah Brady. Actually this might be a good enough reason to make it number one.

Oh, and as for the cheating, i.e. stamping "US MADE" on the existing parts, I for one would rather spend several hundred dollars and be legal than spend tens of thousands and time in jail.

So if I can avoid the tax (form 1) by spending money on parts, and have a firearm that is legal for anyone to own, as opposed to a highly restricted one, I'm going to go that way. In the end, it's the same damn gun. It's a great example of how absolutely insane many of our firearms laws are.

1. It renders the firearm more functional for defensive use.

So, changing the hammer, firing pin etc. etc makes the weapon more functional?? I guess the millions Benelli & HK spent on RD isn't as good as someones after market product.

I think you may have missed my point. 922r refers to the manufacturing & importation laws.

A Benelli M4 has been mfg'd and imported into the USofA..so why the need to change the parts to make it 922r compliant? That is the basis of why everyone is wanting to change the 5 of the 15 parts.

Increasing the magazine capacity and having a collapsible stock available renders the firearm more functional. But you can't do that to an imported firearm unless you are LE, Military or unless you get an approved form 1 through ATF.

The M4 with the 5 shot magazine and the fixed buttstock has been legally imported. The collapsible stock and 7 shot version that is imported is not legal for sale to any but Law enforcement or military. Modifying an imported "civilian legal" M4 within the bounds of 922r means you have to reduce those parts on "the list" to ten or less from an imported source to be legal without registering it on a form 1. So by replacing five of the 15 parts on "the list" with non-imported US parts, you avoid the need to file a form 1 to be legal.

I understand now. So how do you deal with an original M4 that came with the coll. stock? Is it illegal that I purchased it? Am I forced to modify it to comply?

There were some that came into the USA before the BATF stopped them.

I happen to own one of them. Based on..my receiver only says m4 and nothing else.

The purpose of 922r was to prevent civilians from owning imported firearms that looked unacceptably mean and icky to certain Congresswomen who don't know diddly jack about firearms.

If it were US made you could either buy one off the rack, or make it yourself from parts, so long as the barrel stays at least 18 inches and the overall length is at least 26 inches.

If you happen to really like the Benelli M4 design, as I do, but want the M1014 features, the only way to get one is to pay a tax and limit it's resale value or else go the long way around and replace enough parts to keep it legal per 922r.

I understand now. So how do you deal with an original M4 that came with the coll. stock? Is it illegal that I purchased it? Am I forced to modify it to comply?

There were some that came into the USA before the BATF stopped them.

I happen to own one of them. Based on..my receiver only says m4 and nothing else.

You're one of the lucky few. Hang on to it. So far as I know you're fine. Does yours have the long magazine tube too?