SuperNova question

AmicusCuriae

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a Benelli SuperNova tactical that I got for Christmas. I have a lot of experience using shotguns at work, but this is my first personally owned shotgun.

A couple question for those you who have one: First, the magazine tube cap is incredibly difficult for me to remove when the barrel is attached (I actually had to use pliers to remove it). Is this normal? Is there some trick to it that I am missing? Second, what the heck is the plastic barrel sheath for?

Thanks,

AmicusCuriae

Usually the barrel is removed, to make it easier to remove the mag cap, which is really not removed that often. Using "snap ring" pliers makes the removal much easier and won't tear up the holes.

Not sure what you mean by a plastic barrel sheath. The plastic 3 round limiter rod?

Usually the barrel is removed, to make it easier to remove the mag cap, which is really not removed that often. Using "snap ring" pliers makes the removal much easier and won't tear up the holes.

Not sure what you mean by a plastic barrel sheath. The plastic 3 round limiter rod?

I think you are misunderstanding what part I am referring to. When I say magazine cap, I am talking about the screw on cap that goes on the end of the magazine that holds the barrel assembly in place. The Benelli literature calls it a magazine cap, but I don't know if that is what it is referred to in common parlance.

The barrel sheath is the little hard plastic covering that is clipped onto the barrel when you open up a new SuperNova. There are all sorts of warnings to remove it before firing the shotgun, but no reference at all to what its use may be.

Thanks,

AmicusCuriae

You are quite correct, I'm way off. I was thinking of the retainer cap for the magazine spring.

For the magazine cap, if you have to use pliers to loosen it, it's way too tight. If you have to use pliers to remove it completely, their may be a problem with the threads.

All of these caps on pump shotguns, should be finger tight -finger loose.

I purchased my Supernova new, but from someone who won it in a drawing. Not sure what you mean about the sheath.