What am I doing wrong?

cdogg44

Ok, so I picked up my SBEII tonight and after getting home late due to the long drive (2.5hrs each way) I was dying to put it back together (for $1250 a full case would be a nice touch).

Well, I ran into a major problem trying to install the barrel. The front grip will not come off of the gun. I unscrew the end cap thing, and then cannot pull off the grip. Due to this I cannot for the life of me get the barrel on (mind you that I am being extra super careful not to nick or scratch my new camo gun).

Any suggestions? The Benelli book just seems to skip over this part in the assembly section. This is not my first gun (it is my first semi auto shotgun), and I can competently take apart and clean almost everything I own, but will be the first to admit that I don't know it all. Please help me.

Thanks

Originally posted by cdogg44:

Ok, so I picked up my SBEII tonight and after getting home late due to the long drive (2.5hrs each way) I was dying to put it back together (for $1250 a full case would be a nice touch).

Well, I ran into a major problem trying to install the barrel. The front grip will not come off of the gun. I unscrew the end cap thing, and then cannot pull off the grip. Due to this I cannot for the life of me get the barrel on (mind you that I am being extra super careful not to nick or scratch my new camo gun).

Any suggestions? The Benelli book just seems to skip over this part in the assembly section. This is not my first gun (it is my first semi auto shotgun), and I can competently take apart and clean almost everything I own, but will be the first to admit that I don't know it all. Please help me.

Thanks

cdog44,

Contact customer service at 301-283-6981. They'll be more than happy to give you the information you're requesting.

Nelli Girl

cdogg44,

I experience the same issue on my SBEII. To prevent scratching the gun and/or barrel, I perform the following steps:

1) Unscrew the Rod Retaining Cap (with swivel).

2) Put your left hand on the forearm and right hand on above the forearm holding the barrel.

3) Carefully lift the forearm and barrel together until you hit the point of strong resistance.

4) At this point, with your right hand on the barrel, lift the barrel off of the forearm being careful not to let the lower end of the barrel hit the receiver.

5) At this point you have removed the barrel from the forearm. Now you can lift the forearm off the magazine tube using a short twisting motion. By twisting I mean you are rotating the forearm back-and-forth as you lift straight up.

This will get easier over time but the forearm will not just slide off. My SBEII still requires the above procedures if I want to avoid unnecessary scratches.

I would be interested in what Benelli Customer Service suggests to you. Feel free to post their suggestions back on the forums.

Regards threeshot

cdogg44,

Sorry, I read your post backwards. smile.gif I thought you were trying to disassemble the gun.

My procedures for assembly of the forearm and barrel are:

1) Slip the forearm onto the magazine tube without the barrel.

2) Using your left hand on the forearm and your right hand on the barrel, lift the forearm until it encounters strong resistence on the magazine tube.

3) With your right hand, place the barrel onto the top of the forearm and slide your right hand down to push the bottom of the forearm onto the back of the barrel.

Being careful not to let the lower end of the barrel hit the receiver.

3) Now slide both forearm and attached barrel into the receiver per the manual's instructions.

benddg,

My gun is the black synthetic SBEII and the forearm is just a little too small to get over the end of the magazine tube.

Benelli may have a reason for making this a little tight. I am not sure of the reason since it the forearm on the magazine tube and not the barrel that is the issue.

Regards threeshot

Heres a little help. Take the forend and if you have a half round file or cabinet rasp, remove some of the plastic inside the forend. The area that needs to be releived is the first section on the inside towards the rear of the forend. It's about 1 1/2 inches up in the rear of the forend on the left and right sides. Have done it to mine and it works smooth as silk.