South Africa Guniea Fowl Hunt

timb99

Went Guinea Fowl hunting Saturday in Limpopo Province near Pienaarsrivier, north of Pretoria. The terrain, unlike my last hunt, was vastly different. Nothing like home. We hunted in what is called "the bushveld." Tall dry grassland with lots of bushes and small trees. Seems like every bush has stickers, every tree has thorns.

But what fun it is to hunt guinea fowl! Kind of like pheasant hunting, but different. Instead of seeing deer, we saw gray duiker (teeny-tiny antelope) and one of the guys saw a kudu (huge antelope), and instead of bobcat, one of the guys saw a caracal, a cat related to the lynx.

On my first flush, probably 10 of these things jumped up about 10 feet in front of me. Got a double, and if I had been hunting with a pump or semi-auto, it would have made for a very makeable triple.

Oh, and these things run faster than pheasants. If they’re not DOA when they hit the ground, good luck finding them.

Truckload of Guineas

GuineaHunt1.jpg

Odd looking critter, ain't they?

GuineaHunt3.jpg