Nova Pump Tactical - I am a newbie

johnny1720

Ok so I have a Nova Pump Tactical with a 18.5" barrel in matte. This gun was a gift and it has much sentimental value to me. Because the barrel is so short I often miss at deer that are more than 25 yards away from me. I am sick of this happening to me so I have left the Nova at home the last few years. What barrel should I purchase for deer hunting in Western, NY. And what should I shoot through it?

Item #81070

SuperNova/Nova Pump Slug Barrels

I would love to trade my 18.5" barrel in matte for a longer barrel, but I assume the 18.5" is much less desirable than the 24" slug barrel.

Edited by johnny1720
spelling error

With all sincerity, If you are missing a deer at 25 yds with your 18.5 inch barrel, a longer barrel won't be of much help. Plenty of short barreled guns are accurately shot at 100 yds and longer.

Practice, practice and practice. Without seeing you shoot, can't offer anything more than plenty of GOOD practice. I've seen plenty of shooters jerk the trigger at 25 yds and less and miss a target completely. Learn to squeeze the trigger and follow through on the shot. Best of luck to you!

Yea I thought the same thing, then I had a buddy who is a firearms instructor for the State Police try it out. He said the same thing the gun is in its glory between 0 and 50 feet. The last few years I have been using my 270 Weatherby with lepulod scope and have done very well with the deer count.

Edited by johnny1720

What kind of groups are you getting at 25 yards and at 50 yards?

I would spend some time at the range trying different brands of rifled slugs and see which ones give the best groups with your current barrel. Like GoBow said, your current setup should be fine at 25 yards.

Obviously, a rifled barrel with sabot slugs will be way more accurate, but also more expensive. This combo should give you tight groups at 100 yards easily. Keep in mind if you trade your current barrel for a rifled barrel, you will not be able to shoot normal shot loads anymore. The rifling ruins the pattern.

The best solution would be to add a rifled barrel and scope for deer and keep your smooth barrel for other uses.

The grouping at 25 is tight as can be. When you get to 50 it is sporadic at best as in still hitting the circle but no where near the center. Both me and the firearms instructor experience this (obviously his grouping is better than mine but not by to much)

I use the gun to hunt deer, I also use it on occasion to blast rubber buckshot at black bear that are a little to close to the childs playhouse for my comfort.

Which rifled barrel and scope should I look at?

What is the smooth barrel I have good for?

Like I said I am looking for help here, I have almost zero knowledge about guns. And nothing for me is obvious with guns.

Thank you for your help

As with all guns, you have to remove all possible variables. Try different slugs; shotguns are notorious for being finicky about liking one brand of slug and not liking another. Be sure to pull the gun in tight to your shoulder and lean forward into each shot with all your slugs.

Can't emphasize it enough, the shooter has a tremendous effect on accuracy with a shotgun; as in squeezing the trigger and following through on the shot. Target shooting with slugs is real punishment. It takes real effort to do all the little things like keeping the sights aligned and on target, breathing, and squeezing the shot off. All in knowing that the gun is gonna beat the snot out of you every time you pull the trigger. If your gun is grouping tightly at 25 yds, sporadic groups at 50 yds are probably the result of shooter induced error.

Google up Hickok 45 on Youtube. He routinely hits with slugs and a just bead sight at 80 yds. You and your gun are fully capable of doing the same thing and likely better... With good practice. Best of luck!