7 round magazine feeding issue on M4

LFZ427

I was at the range today and noticed on the 7th round into the magazine tube didn't want to go in as easy...I had to use extra force to get it in and then the carrier would get hung up on it.

This has has never happened before...I always had no problems throwing in 7 rounds in the tube with ease using the same ammo I always use.

I had the gun apart before taking it out and noticed the trigger assembly was abnormally difficult to set but got it in with no problem...seems really tight but don't see how that affects the feeding issue.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by LFZ427

The trigger pack can be difficult to seat if the stock is misaligned with the receiver even slightly. It can be hard to see sometimes.

You certain youre using the same shells? Is it an OEM spring? Who made the magazine tube? Have you disassembled the magazine tube and ensured it is free of debris and oil?

Inspect the shell release and make sure it looks fine and the spring is seated properly at the rear.

The trigger pack can be difficult to seat if the stock is misaligned with the receiver even slightly. It can be hard to see sometimes.

You certain youre using the same shells? Is it an OEM spring? Who made the magazine tube? Have you disassembled the magazine tube and ensured it is free of debris and oil?

Inspect the shell release and make sure it looks fine and the spring is seated properly at the rear.

Benelli mag tube with Benelli spring made for 7 round tube. Everything is perfectly fine. I had the trigger assembly out the day before the range with the pistol grip off as well. I disassembled and checked everything just now, and the trigger assembly went in a lot easier. I'm heading out to the range tomorrow evening to try it again.

When spinning the grip back onto the receiver, it has to be tight...? I mean...it shouldn't feel like it needs to make one more rotation to get it tighter? Over thinking here....

Snug is good enough for the stock. The main goal is to not have a gap between the stock and the receiver. It can't unscrew by itself since the trigger pack locks it in place.

Make sure thr spring retainer is set all the way to the end of the magazine. This will give you the most amount of spring possible. What I do is I seat mine so it sticks out the end of the magazine tube. Then I install the barrel and squeeze the retainer in to place with the magazine cap.

Thanks! Everything so far is checked out good. Taking it out this evening and I'll report back.

Funny thing is that I've put 500+ rounds before with no issues at all clicking in that 7th round into the tube with no issues.

Well when I had everything out last night, the trigger assembly seemed to have gone in very easily and lined up very good. Put about 30 rounds through it today at the range and it seemed to load 7 rounds of 2.75" shells pretty well. Last round clicked right in.....

I can only think that the trigger assembly perhaps was maybe "off?" Who knows....but it seems to be running like a Benelli should now!

Thanks StrangerDanger for the help!