Benelli M2 Old vs New Shim Systems

josephmaxwell

I recently purchased a new Benelli M2 right handed with the updated receiver and buttstock. When I got the new gun and took it to the range it was patterning a good bit high for my taste so I wanted to drop the POI down by switching to the C or D drop shim. Based on the instruction manual it says that I will have to stack both the DX cast shim and the C or D drop shims between the back of the receiver and the buttstock and then install the corresponding cast/drop plate in the buttstock. However, my shims are not designed in a way to properly stack on top of one another. They have all male pegs on both sides of the plastic drop shims. Is the manual that came with my gun outdated and the new M2 just needs to have the C DX metal plate and the C shim? My gun came with the following plastic shims A, B, C, DX and metal plates Z DX, A DX, and C DX. 

If you are going to create more drop in the gun stock you will use the C Drop Shim followed by the DX Cast shim, letters away from the reciever.  You will then use the CDX Drop Shim plate in the buttstock, letters away from the reciever/top of the the drop shim plate.  There is really no difference in the new M2 vs any other Quadra Fit Benelli with the excetion of the shape of the Drop & Cast shim.

I’ve attached photos of the shims from my older Benelli ultralight which match up with the design of the shims in the manual and your description. I’ve also attached photos of the shims that came with my new M2 laid out on my desk. As you can see, they are different. 

IMG_8225.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8224.jpeg

73065533109__DDCBD6D2-17BD-48AF-A00D-D736A7198E09.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

I figured out the problem and I'm an idiot. The DX Cast shim was stuck to the C drop shim because of some oil from the factory between the two. I was able to separate them and then follow the instructions per the manual to install the D drop shim to the DX cast shim and get everything put back together. 

Great News!  I noticed you are running the A Drop Shim & the A Drop shim plate in your Ultra Light. Is there a reason you have so very little drop?  I can not recall any of the 900 + Quadra Fit fittings that I have done ended up in the A Drop Shim setup.  

Generally speaking when you eyeline is to high when looking down the rib you will see you mid bead under the front bead.  These are the folks who are actually pointing the gun higher than they believe. Effect "My Benelli Is Shooting high".  The correct language should be " I am shooting my Benelli high and I don't understand why".

Several years ago I spent an after out doing a fitting with my Ultralight and that is what shim ended up giving me a point of aim equal to my point of impact at 15 yards. With the ultra light, the sight picture is essentially the mid bead completely covering the front fiber optic and no visible rib. Imagine looking at a ball sitting on top of a flat line.

I took my M2 with the D drop shim and Dx cast shim installed yesterday and performed a similar test (15 yards, mount the gun, fire) using a full choke. My sight picture with the D drop shim on the M2 has the front fiber optic cut in half by the back of the rib with only the top half showing to my eye. With the bullseye of my target sitting right on the top of the half of the front fiber optic I can see, the impacts are still between 3 and 5 inches high. Weather permitting I'm going to take the gun back out this week and put it in a led sled at 15-20 yards and shoot it without a choke installed and see if maybe the barrel is shooting high. All of my other benelli's past and present have had the poi shift in the appropriate direction as I changed the shims (i.e. changed the way the front bead is presented to my eye). 

Here is a photo from the Benelli Labatory in Italy.  The Benelli Spec as noted counted from the middle of the circle directly above the point of aim.  I am attaching another image for refernce.  Your Ultralight seems to setup very nicely.  The new M2 is very flat right out of the box. I have a 12 gauge as well, photo.

image.png.a6072f4ce58fbf3c13ff3fb7dd485104.pngimage.png.efc3295c5bf221a2c5a81a7a135676f2.pngimage.png.a44e77224ef791ae75a13ecea1df195e.png

Benelli M2.JPG