SBEII

Alaskahunter

I read it, didn't believe it and got bit by it - I purchase a SBEII ten days ago for a upcoming pheasant hunt in North Dakota. Following the manufacturer recommendations, I broke in the gun with 300 rounds at the local range before taking the gun into the field. No feed problems - no kick - a real joy to shoot! The day I left the range I couldn't have been happier - first day in the field, one bird in the vest, half way through my second walk I pull the gun to my shoulder, pull the trigger and find out that the butt pad is GONE...no kidding it has just flat vanished. Spent several hours searching to no avail. No Benelli dealer within 300 miles and this is the only gun I brought. The dealer in Bismarck didn't sell just the butt pad. Had to hunt the rest of the week with a dish rag jammed in the stock. My confidence was shattered. Called Benelli on Friday and waited better than 30 minutes on the phone only to find out that their customer service department was closed. Ended up buying a used Remmington 1187 and finishing out the hunt. Benelli needs to get this problem worked out fast - Field guns should be designed to withstand use in the field - this is a great gun with a big defect.

I just got off the phone with Benelli Customer Service - very helpful representative - we will see how well her suggestion works. First, Benelli had no reservations about sending me a replacement pad. The CS rep indicated this is the second call like this she has handled in the last week. Benelli wouldn't send me a spare pad; however, I was told I could order one through my local dealer.

I was told that the pads were shipped to Benelli with a "release agent" to assist with the assembly. Benelli recommends that a new owner with this problem clean the butt end of the gun and the replacement pad with rubbing alchohol. Once cleaned, the pad should be re installed using a silicone lubricant.

When I asked about gluing the pad to the stock, the CS rep didn't say yes and didn't say no - did indicate that once adjusted there was little reason to remove the pad. That said, I do have a concern that applying a glue to the pad would void the warranty.

Not completely satisfied but this is a reasonable response -

I have a slip-on LimbSaver pad that I carry in my ammo bag and use it when I sight in my gun for turkey loads that would have saved your hunt. I haven't had any problems with my SBE II pad but I also would be VERY upset if mine came up missing durning a hunt. It's hard to believe they didn't find that problem when they field tested the new stock.

Once cleaned, the pad should be re installed using a silicone lubricant.

I would think if you can get the Gel Pad back onto the stock without any kind of lubricant, this would help prevent the Gel Pad from coming off in the field. Why did Benelli say to use a silicon lubricant?

Let us know if the procedures Benelli gave you resolve the problem.

Regards threeshot

[ 10-18-2004, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

Benelli was very clear that the replacement pad be installed with silicone lubricant and not simply cleaned with rubbing alcohol and installed dry. I seem to recall the rep telling me that the silicone would assure that the pad was properly fitted into position. The more I think about it the more tempted I am to use a silicone based glue - if I have to cut it out later - so be it. At least I can be comfortable that the pad will not disappear in the field - It a **** of a mess having to glue a $1300 gun that is suppose to be the top of the line automatic.

Alaska

I had the same problem with my new SBEII on a duck hunting trip to SD. Customer service was very helpful. Mailed me a new pad right away. Also recommended using the light silicone adhesive (I would think the lubricant would make it fall off easier) once the pad was cleaned. This would allow you to remove the pad without damage (as opposed to using super glue) if you needed to access the stock to make adjustments.

While it has been a pain to deal with some of the issues with the SBE II, I have found the Customer Service personnel very helpful and responsive to the problems I have had.

Hmm... thats about the fourth one I read about. Mine was a pain to get off. Wonder if something else is the difference like weather. I hunt down in Texas and its been around 90 each hunt, how cold were you guys hunting in?

Side question, Alaska, you hunt ducks around ANC? I work on the slope and they are talking about moving me to Alaksa next spring, I'm all for it, but I've heard interesing stoires about hunting in y'alls marsh and the **** tides.

Thx