Happy New Year

shekaree

shekaree, actually it's not so complicated. It's more dependant on the type of firearms that you own.

Everything you need to know is available here : Canadian Firearms Center and especially here if you are moving :

Moving to Canada with firearms

The only complications you might meet is that you will have to get your firearms inspected and registered (if you are to stay for good in Canada).

You might also have to leave your firearms at the custom center for several days too.

Then, you will have to comply with the Canadian laws regarding firearms (such as max ammo = 5 instead of 10 in the US, min barrel length for handguns etc).

You will have to get your firearms into our stupid firearms database and get the licence to 'own' (Possession and Aquisition Licence (PAL), available with restricted and non-restricted class).

To have that licence, it is not enough to simply pay for it, you will have to pass both stupid 1-day courses on Firearms safety and hunting.

Without that licence, you can not legally own a firearm in Canada, nor can you buy ammo etc..

If you hunt, you need a hunting licence. (Not sure about the US, probably similar). You cannot hunt with a 'restricted class' firearm (see below). If you do both 1-day courses, you will get that licence automatically.

If you have fairly standard firearms (our equivalent of unrestricted class) then you will meet no problems.

If you have restricted or prohibited firearms, expect complications.

[edit] Important, you should do the Licence part in advance, since getting one after doing the courses takes 4-6 months and you cannot own a firearm during that time. (Seriously).

Now you might think "forget about all that licensing and registration crap, I'm buying my ammo in the US". Know this: If you get caught hunting or at the range with an unregistered or illegal firearm, not only will you never see it again, you risk 2 years in prison and $$$.

Hope this enough info... Reading back, I can see it's a lot of hassle, but once you get passed that everything should be fine. Should you require more info, check the sites I gave you or just ask smile.gif

Have a nice stay in Canada ;)

(yes, stupid gun laws here... but it's a nice country if you forget about that, so don't let our laws discourage you...)

[ 01-01-2006, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Chronos ]

Chronos,

Thanks a lot of the great info and I will look into these sites in detail.

I don't think I have restricted firearm, at least they are not restricted in US. I have a benelli M1 shot gun, savage 30-06 rifle, R1, Ruger .22 and a Glock pistol Model 35, 40 cal, and 5 inch barrel)

Looks like I will be contacting you a lot for more info on Canada and settling there.

thanks again.

Originally posted by shekaree:

Chronos,

I don't think I have restricted firearm, at least they are not restricted in US. I have a benelli M1 shot gun, savage 30-06 rifle, R1, Ruger .22 and a Glock pistol Model 35, 40 cal, and 5 inch barrel)

Looks like I will be contacting you a lot for more info on Canada and settling there.

Actually, your Glock pistol is a 'restricted' firearm, simply because it is a handgun. As I mentioned, it only means that you can't hunt with it, and you need the restricted-class PAL. (And you need to pass 3 courses, instead of 2). If the barrel was 4.1 inches or less, it would be 'prohibited' and you wouldn't be able to bring it to Canada (not legally...).

I have a Ruger .22 Mark III 5 1/2 barrel which is restricted, being a handgun. I can't hunt with it (nor would you want to...being a .22 pistol) but I do occasionally miss my target and get a bird or some small varmin. I'm a bad shooter I guess ;)

Since this is a New Year's post after all, PM me or start a new post if you have any questions and I'll gladly answer.