Which SBE 2 barrel length for skeet/trap/sporting clays

DBW

Hey all,

I've decided on getting an SBE 2 for sport shooting. I don't do any hunting... My son and I just started with skeet and plan to eventually move to trap and sporting clays. Which barrel length would you recommend? I'm new to all shotgun sport shooting. Any help is very appreciated.

Dave

SBEII IMO is not a range gun due to the hassels on loading it one shell at a time! City range here only allows 1 shell in chamber at a time but feel ya might wanta go with an O/U Ruger/Browning you will be much happier and your wrist will be forever grateful just do to the loading issues. I have been looking hard at a Cynergy Sport 28" for range shooting and their 32" swings really nice for a long gun!! length is not a big deal chokes and loads will gett ya where ya need to be! Gun fit is biggest player and if ya do not know how to just google it! shotguns have changed over last few years so ya might wanta check into that before spending big$$$ and not liking a semi-auto for range shooting! I hear the Cynergy 12 Guages really do not kick at all! but after owninga SBEII for 3 years i have become numb to recoil which IMO is not that bad!! unless you are patterning turkey shot!!

Thanks for the responses... yes I'm looking for a semi-auto. I have a Beretta 686 OU 20 gauge with a 28" barrel. The gun mounts very nicely and I'm having good results except when it comes to doubles--hence I want a semi-auto.

I haven't looked at the super sports--I'll give them a look and pass on the SBE. As for googling it I have... I come to this forum for advice from people who have first hand experience with the gun I'm looking at.

Any other gun suggestions?

DBW, you are making a mistake! The SBE II is an excellent gun for skeet, trap, and clays. I've put about 5000 rounds through mine in the last year at sporting clays, and it has been excellent. I've heard lots of people say that the SBE II can't cycle common low-base rounds, including my local gunsmith, and I have to say that they are all wrong. My SBE II cycles everything I give it. It just works.

I know that the SBE II can be used for a skeet gun, but I think if he wants a semi-auto skeet gun, he should buy a semi-auto skeet gun. The super sports would do much better because that is what they are made for. The SBE was made to be a hardcore waterfowl gun using magnum loads. The super sports were made to shoot skeet with light target loads. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the responses... yes I'm looking for a semi-auto. I have a Beretta 686 OU 20 gauge with a 28" barrel. The gun mounts very nicely and I'm having good results except when it comes to doubles--hence I want a semi-auto.

I haven't looked at the super sports--I'll give them a look and pass on the SBE. As for googling it I have... I come to this forum for advice from people who have first hand experience with the gun I'm looking at.

Any other gun suggestions?

If ya going with the SBEII go shoulder the 3 different lengths and see which one ya like and which feels the best and remember to pattern it before ya go shoot skeet/trap gun has adjustable features which will be an issue if not addressed! Never had issues with light loads in my SBEII just range will not let ya load but one shell at a time!! Some people have issues shooting light loads from this gun but feel that was due to improper break-in procedures, i suggested an O/u because i do not have one and my range an O/U is more practical but if your range will let ya filler up go for it!! MySBEII has not had 1 single malfunction "YET". I have noticed the O/U shotguns have a few more choke selections and most articles i have read, most ranges will not let ya load more than 2 shells in competition shooting? But if it's a local turkey shoot and no one cares by all means a SBEII would be overkill but worth every penny and biggest issue is adjusting the fit which does not take long!!