Benelli customer service

lordform

I have bad news and I have great news.

The bad news is my 270 wsm R1 jammed on me again (3rd or 4th time). I love the gun and the feeling of having it but I have to give up on it.

The geat news is Benelli customer service is top notch. I am always very fast to rip c/s when it is inadequate, so I must praise it when it is as it should be. I worked with Lesley Rawlings in c/s. She was helpful, responded timely and was never antagonistic or deflective. The whole matter has been handled properly to this point.

I won't state resolution they arrived at because I am sure things happen on a case by case basis and I would hate to create a problem for them. The best way to say it is I would buy from them again. I am going to try the R1 again in a year or so after some time has passed. I also might actually get a super black eagle soon.

So, if your dealmaker is good customer service, BUY FROM BENELLI!

What sort of problems were you having that caused the jamming? Since you say that you may give them a try in a year or so, did they lead you to believe that there are existing problems that they know about and are trying to correct? I am trying to get some info and don't want to spend a thousand dollars to get a problem child so to speak

They didnt say there was an existing problem they are aware of. The reason I say I will wait a year and try again is because the rifle's gas rings seem to stick to the brass cyclinder (attached to the barrel) after a few shots. I know this because it was very tough to ge the barrel off in order to clean it. They get dirty fast and badly- at least they did on this gun. I'm sure this is why it kept jamming. I figure after a year or so they will have had enough complaints on this and will have fixed it. Its posible it was the defect was only on my gun, or perhaps I wasn't cleaning it well enough. I don;t know. I do know that I bought the gun for a specific reason. That is to have a auto repeater here in florida where being charged by a hog is a likelyhood. A gun that jams can mean potential death or mauling by swine and I am not in the mood for that.

All this said, get the gun if you like it. If it is bad, Benelli has the best custoemr service you can ask for. Thats a guarantee I look for in high priced items. Nothing is going to be perfect. There is always going to be somethign wrong with a complicated gun (as simple as the R1 is it is still an auto loader). What's important is that you don;t get stuck with a lemon. They make sure that doesnt happen. Custoemr service sells me way more than the actual product everytime. Think I'm lying, check this post out I did last year about a mathews bow- http://archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=247684

I don't cut any slack when it comes to custoemr service.

SO, if you like it, buy it. They will take care of you if it is problematic.

I recently sold my own rifle for only $400.00. I couldn't find anyone interested in buying it so I gave it away and took a huge loss...OUCH! It was less than 2 years old and looked brand new and didn't have a scratch on it. I just never could get it to shoot consistantly. It seemed to shoot differently every time I took it out of the case. I finally got tired of fooling with the blasted thing. ( Besides I was going broke buying ammo for it too) I shot about 12-14 boxes of ammo through it and also sent it back to BenelliUSA for service to no avail. They never could find the problem or correction for it. I asked them to please replace the gun but they said it was within the Benelli factory tolerance of shooting 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I never saw that in the advertisements "performance work the price" and probably shouldn't have bought the gun in the first place if that is all the R-1 rifle is capable of. (I have seen auto loading slug guns that would do that).

Anyway I didn't want it on my conscience to sell a rifle that performed so poorly to an unsuspecting buyer. I just didn't think that would be right. I let 4-5 of my hunting buddies shoot the gun to see if they were interested in buying it at a very good price but they were all afraid that they might wound an animal with a bad shot or miss a trophy opportunity associated with its poor accuracy and passed on it.

I guess unfortunatley the R-1 doesn't have the reputation or accuracy associated with other semi-auto rifles such as Browning and Remington. One good thing that did come out of my experience was that I now shoot my bolt action rifle much better accuracy wise. I attribute this to building up the strength in my trigger finger after shooting the R-1.

Curious how did you manage an amiable resolution? I drove almost 300 miles today to look at one for myself. They didn't seem as well made as the Indo. Brownings, shooting one was a bit uncomfortable with the grip, trigger was harendous and the groups were terrible but that may be due to the break-in. I shot a 308 and the 300, the 308 seemed pretty nice but the 300 was used and it too jammed twice in 10rnds. I'm like you, don't need or want a gun that is not reliable in the field.. What did you end up buying?

Curious how did you manage an amiable resolution? I drove almost 300 miles today to look at one for myself. They didn't seem as well made as the Indo. Brownings, shooting one was a bit uncomfortable with the grip, trigger was harendous and the groups were terrible but that may be due to the break-in. I shot a 308 and the 300, the 308 seemed pretty nice but the 300 was used and it too jammed twice in 10rnds. I'm like you, don't need or want a gun that is not reliable in the field.. What did you end up buying?

Im sorry to see your problem went so sour. I think the reason my case was handled differently is it was a jamming issue, not an acuracy issue. I had email trails showing my concern of a gun that jams and I can be a very large hemorhoid when required- I am a purchaser/price negotiator by trade so I deal with vendors daily. That helps a little too.

I actually bought a SBE2 yesterday. I dont think Ill have a problem with it since it is not gas operated and their reputation is great.

As far as a replacement rifle, I am buying a SAKO lever action from by best bud. However, later in the year I am going to get a BAR or maybe even another R1. Browning has some new styles out and I fell in love with the short trac in full camo. My uncle's have BAR's and they dont even own a cleaning kit- never complain aout them jamming.