New 11707 owner with questions

Eyeshooter

I finally decided to buy a HD shotgun and purchased an 11707 with pistol stock. I've been reading various posts but still don't really understand chokes. I know it has to do with pattern and various loads. Today I shot 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck and 2 3/4", 7/8oz slug using the choke the gun came with. Should I have changed chokes? The M4 did function perfectly.

Also, how far should I break the gun down for cleaning? Due to time constraints, I was only able to fire 40 shells but I just had to try it out.

Thanks for your help. I really enjoy this forum.

I've been hunting with Benellis since the early nineties. It's not a rifle. The beauty of a Benelli is you don't need to clean it after 2 boxes. Clean it Twice a year if you shoot it a lot. You can tell when a Benelli needs to be cleaned because you can feel the bolt slow down when you fire. Once a year you need to clean the recoil spring tube because otherwise you will start jamming even with everything else spotless. Ask me how I know this. One caveat, this info does not apply to super high volume Argentina type shooting or constant clay shooting, then you need to clean about every 500 or so rounds if it's humid.

Oh, and as far as chokes go Commando's is right on IMHO cyl. choke,i.e. no choke is usually best for slugs and close range 00 work. However, sometimes a skeet choke works better. For Buckshot, especially the larger sizes mod. is pushing it, cyl., skeet, imp. cyl., and a light mod. will probably be your best selections with Briley making some excellent chokes.

Cylinder Choke is required for rifle slugs but dont use sabot slugs those are for full rifle bore barrels and we have the smooth bore barrels. I would just keep a Cyl choke in it for both oo buck and Slugs. Remember the furtherst you want to shoot 00 buck is 20 to 25 yards away depending on your pattern. If you start seeing flyers then those 32 caliber pellets have a potential too hit something you dont want to destroy.

This is a defense weapon not a hunting shotgun that is what I use it for.. I do change out the chokes in my other Benelli's that I use to hunt with.

I spoke with Briley today about a cylinder choke for rifled slug and improved mod for 00buck. The question was whether to buy an extended choke that sticks out beyond the barrell. Sorry to be so ignorant but this seems like a good idea to hold the pattern longer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My Shotgun HD class is in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get the M4 set up and ready.

Thanks for your help!

The Commando's right your CYL ( cylinder choke ) is your go to choke for a combat shottie. However, a Skeet choke ( the next constriction up ) is also most excellent for buckshot and even slugs. EVERY GUN IS DIFFERENTE!. this goes for loads too. About the tightest choke I would use for buckshot is Improved cylinder choke. With good buckshot you should be able to hit at 45-50 yards. Any tighter on the choke, like the stupid modified that comes with the gun will probably open up your pattern with 00 buck. Just my .02.