Hi all, new Benelli owner here with a question

BTFPTM

Evening all :)

I picked up my Benelli Nova pump-action from a friend for dirt cheap and I can't wait to shoot it at the range!! But, there is a question I have since I'm a total newbie to shotguns (never even fired one yet).

On the barrel, it says the gun will accept 2-3/4, 3 and 3-1/2 inch shells. At the same time, before those numbers it says the gun is a 12 Ga. 3-1/2" gun. I bought a box of 2-3/4" shells and the gun doesn't seem to like them at all. Every time I pump the action to eject and reload it jams because one round comes out of the magazine and the one behind it comes part way out and jams the action. Sometimes if I'm really fast on the action it will load properly, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun, it just seems that the 2-3/4" rounds are too short so two rounds try to come out.

Does the gun prefer 3-1/2" rounds despite the fact that it's rated for all three sizes? Is there some adjustment I need to make on the gun depending on what size shell I am using?

I read the online owner's manual for the gun, it doesn't say anything about it which is why I thought I'd ask here. Thanks guys :)

Your Nova pump should cycle all shells equally well, I dont personally own this gun but like all pump shotguns the feed is performed manually so it does not relay on gas or interia to cycle the action. It could be operator error or a problem with the gun, have the friend you bought it from shoot and see if the problems are repeating.

12 ga = Gage of shotgun shell the gun is designed to fire. Other gages would be 20ga, 28ga, 16ga, and 10ga.

2 3/4"-3"-3 1/2" = These are the shell lengths the gun was designed to chamber, the longer the shell typically means the higher the payload (more power). So 2 3/4" are typically for target use and the others are geard toward hunting, this is just a very basic explanation.

The troubles you are having are not likely due to the shell length, my guess would be a mechanical problem or user problem. Or even if the gun was never cleaned or hardley ever cleaned a good cleaning might remedy the problem, since you are so new to guns may be a friend or gunsmith should show you how the first time.

Some others in here who know more about this model may have more advice to give.

It could be operator error; sometimes the gun will load properly if I'm quick enough at it and have the slide in just the right aft position. I'll bring it by a local shop and see what they say. The gun has only been fired half a dozen times and has been sitting quite a while, so as you say it might just need a good cleaning and basic tune-up.

Dude i had the same prob with a maverick 88 pump.Problem was i wasn't pushing the last shell up far enough in the magazine and when pumping the spent shell was prematurly feeding through the new round.Another case is you might have a neglected shotgun, and need to regulate the shell stop.

Good luck.:)