Looking for short barrel turkey thumper

aubigdog

Ok, I have been looking everywhere and need some advice.

I own a SBE 28" (approx 1999) in Realtree camo, a M1S90 with 26" barrel in Realtree advantage with a pistol grip (approx 2002). I have taken lots of turkeys with both, but I would really like to go to a short barrel gun that is turkey specific with a pistol grip. I use the SBE for ducks and other things. Here is what I am thinking are my options:

1. New M2 Tactical with 18.5" barrell and pistol grip for ~$1100, then get it dipped in full camo, pull off the extended mag.

2. New M2 with 21" barrel in camo for ~$1300 and comfortech stock. Add pistol grip.

3. Gunsmith my M1S90 to have the barrel shortened and re-tapped for screw in chokes. (no idea what this will cost or if it is a good idea).

I know there are lots of opinions about short vs. long barrels. I want a short barrel, mainly for weight reduction (lots of long walks) and easy maneuvering while set up on a gobbler.

Here are my 2 questions:

1. Which one would you go with of the 3 and why?

2. Can I expect to get good turkey patterns out of the short barrel with the right choke? I shoot Kick's Gobblin Thunders in both my Benellis and get great patterns.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

BTW, I plan to call call Kick's Chokes tomorrow and talk to them about the short barrels with their chokes.

Ok, I have been looking everywhere and need some advice.

I own a SBE 28" (approx 1999) in Realtree camo, a M1S90 with 26" barrel in Realtree advantage with a pistol grip (approx 2002). I have taken lots of turkeys with both, but I would really like to go to a short barrel gun that is turkey specific with a pistol grip. I use the SBE for ducks and other things. Here is what I am thinking are my options:

1. New M2 Tactical with 18.5" barrell and pistol grip for ~$1100, then get it dipped in full camo, pull off the extended mag.

2. New M2 with 21" barrel in camo for ~$1300 and comfortech stock. Add pistol grip.

3. Gunsmith my M1S90 to have the barrel shortened and re-tapped for screw in chokes. (no idea what this will cost or if it is a good idea).

I know there are lots of opinions about short vs. long barrels. I want a short barrel, mainly for weight reduction (lots of long walks) and easy maneuvering while set up on a gobbler.

Here are my 2 questions:

1. Which one would you go with of the 3 and why?

2. Can I expect to get good turkey patterns out of the short barrel with the right choke? I shoot Kick's Gobblin Thunders in both my Benellis and get great patterns.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

BTW, I plan to call call Kick's Chokes tomorrow and talk to them about the short barrels with their chokes.

#2. because the 21 inch barrel would be between a 24 and an 18 inch barrel. Its already in camo. You will have 2 stocks to interchange when you want.

You should get a a good pattern with an 18 or a 21 inch barrel. It won't matter much.

You would also check out jelleyhead chokes and indiancreek chokes to.

Good luck!

I'll second the #2 recommendation, gunsmithing your other one seems like too much messing around for me, and getting the tactical dipped in camo and removing the extension doesn't seem like you would be using it for what it was made for. Plus you would probably have a harder time getting the tactical over the sporter.

All the pistolgrips I see on places like gunbroker are already camoed so that would be the easy part if you got the new M2.