Supernova - slugs in smoothbore, chokes

Cappy227

Maybe true. But why would you want that damage? For me, I want the least amount of gun I need to kill the deer successfully everytime. More meat on the table. If we were able to use a highpowered rifles of deer, I would use .243,.270,25-06.

More damage = better kill. Why do they design expensive broad heads to cause as much damage as possible? Why don't you just use a .17 for deer hunting?

You could try a rifled choke but I feel that they don't help too much. You should pick up a rifled barrel for your SuperNova, they are expensive but if you dont like doing things half assed that is the place to start and you can get them anywhere. What is happening so you fully understand is that the barrel will have a twist inside that causes the bullet to spiral which gives you much better accuracy. With a rifle it is common to see a 1:10 twist which means that every 10 inches you get a full twist. So with a rifled choke you wont get much twisting because they are only about 2-4 inches long, hence the poor results. As for slugs I always reccomend Hornady SST slugs. 2000 fps and a whole lot of nasty. Everything about the slug is cool, check them out in your local store. I bet you the second you look at one you will buy them. They are consistently accurate and are made for 200 yard shots, which is where a rifled barrel and a scope comes into play. Have fun and I hope that I helped.

Very cool. Yes, no stranger to firearms and barrel twists, I do get that much - but am a newbie with the shotgun in hunting applications. Interesting re your remark about a rifled barrel for the Supernova - I can't find one for sale ANYWHERE. Any tips where to look?

Very cool. Yes, no stranger to firearms and barrel twists, I do get that much - but am a newbie with the shotgun in hunting applications. Interesting re your remark about a rifled barrel for the Supernova - I can't find one for sale ANYWHERE. Any tips where to look?

Here is a link to Ables, I only did a quick search but I'm sure you can find them on other sites, but here is the link to this rifled barrel for $415.00:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104171

The price is why a lot of these guys say its almost worth buying a new gun because the Benelli barrels are crazy expensive.

If you want to keep your gun and get a rifled barrel and dont want to pay over $400, then look on gun broker for a used one.

For me, I want the least amount of gun I need to kill the deer successfully everytime.

More damage = better kill. Why do they design expensive broad heads to cause as much damage as possible? Why don't you just use a .17 for deer hunting?

Read again. A .17 won't do that everytime. At least not for me. Plus its agaist the law. Just like shooting tree rats out of season.