M4 low recoil barrels and 3" heavy loads?

Byron South

Originally posted by deasmuth:

Double_wield did they tell you how they "remedied ... the problem."? I would be curious to know as I too have been waiting on a M4 for a long, long, long time. I have been in posesion of a colapsable stock and tube extention for quite some time. Some times I take them out and gaze wistfully at them. Regards,

Honestly, I didn't ask for specifics (& I should have :mad: ). They're apparently aware of the issue, as I didn't have to explain it to the CS girl on the phone. I may call them again to get clarification, but I'd bet they probably don't know any specifics. Maybe they were just given a line to read.

Assuming my guy at the fun shop was on the up, I'll be inspecting the bbl. personally in a few weeks when I take receipt (No-hold-U-breath). I think stevenb has a 4-port w/ retrofit parts, & his has been running fine. Along this line, I'm going to guess that the retrofit has become SOP back at the factory. This would make sense for obvious reasons, not the least of which is the added associated costs for non-productive labor (ie. repair in lieu of production) to handle the problem. I'm only guessing, though.

Ultimately, if the fix works, then it's all good, AFAIC'd.

Why is the "Civilian" M4s90 out of stock everywhere? Is this due to the defective bolt carrier? Did Benelli stop making it for civilians? It has been over a year perhaps over 2 years since I have seen one in stock online.

I see a few of the old limited run of M1014 but no "Civilian" M4. I have seen price gouging on the remaining Benelli M4 that are for sale. The Benelli M4 price tag is $1200 but you won't be able to find one.

What is going on?

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Byron South:

Well, I got my M4 back today. I overnighted it to them they checked it out replace the low recoil barrel with the 2 port barrel and overnighted it back. Haven't shot it yet but I'm sure all will be fine. They thus far have impressed me with their effort to correct my problem , but have not noticed any changes to their website and would be willing to bet that the dealers haven't been contacted about the problem the "low recoil load" (4-Port) have experienced either. I guess the squeeky wheel gets the grease. I kind of feel for guys that in the future buy these 'Low Recoil barrels only to have them break on expensive trips or in bad situations. Hopefully they will make some effort to make it public the problems they have experienced with the 4-ports and shooting heavy loads.

I'll be back later to let you know how my "super duper, military tough, shotgun does.

Byron

I've had my M4 for three days now, and put 200 rounds of Remington 2 3/4" Sluggers through it with no problems. It is a "Low Recoil" 4-port barrel assembly.

The Remington slugger rounds are standard load (i.e. not reduced recoil).

My plan is to continue with the current barrel assembly until a failure occurs - if that happens, I'll let Benelli remedy it under warranty, unless I hear from them directly relative to any in-warranty recall.

In pre-purchase research I was aware of the potential problem with 4-port barrel assemblies. I concluded before my purchase that there were probably random failures, related to metallurgy problems with the bolt group assembly on some M4's - and that Benelli was going to replace any failed units under warranty.

I spend a lot of time (and ammo) at the range, pushing my firearms including Glock 19, 23 and 32, a Colt LE6920, my Defender, and now my M4 to their limit. I have to say, albeit with limited experience that my M4 rocks! I am sure that Benelli will deal with any issues that come up via their warranty. In part, the reputation they have for customer service was a factor in my purchase decision. I will remain optimistic that the 4-port vs. 2-port "low recoil" problem is mostly a random metallurgical failure... and keep feeding my M4 with standard loads...