first time disappointment with M2

jmoln

Just picked up a new M2 Tactical and got it out to an outdoor range for a quick familiarization and patterning. The weather was lousy, the targets soggy, so I really didn't get a good feel for POA/POI. That will have to wait for better weather and an open field, rather than a restricted target range.

However, what I was most anxious to test out was just how it "felt". At the shop where I picked it up we talked about the stock adjustments and I am aware that stock fit is important to how a shotgun handles. The stock spacers probably do need to be changed. As I mount the gun, either with eyes open or closed the sights are not lining up properly.

The question is this - how much should this affect the fit and feel? And the reason I ask is that the recoil was awful! It punched me in the shoulder and cheek much more so than with my Remington 870. I know it's not a gas gun but somehow I was expecting a bit better or softer feel. I was really, really anxious to get this gun after saving up a long time and now feel really let down. So tell me, will stock fit make that much difference or were my expectations way off?

If the M2 recoil is too much try using lighter recoil shells. The M2 is a vast improvement over the 870. That being said, the 870 is a pump gun and you can use much lower recoil shells like Winlight. My M4 needs enough energy from the shells to properly cycle and I'm sure he M2 is similar. 1 oz load, 1200 fps shells will cycle these guns and the recoil is much less. For HD try Remmington 00 BK Managed Recoil shells.