Ammo recommendation for Sport II

saxtonram

Hello

I just ordered a used Sport II and am looking for recommendations on a good ammo for skeet, trap and sporting clays. I am new to these sports and have no idea what ammo to start with. I understand the inertia system of the Sport II needs a minimum FPS to cycle reliably.

Thanks

Hello

I just ordered a used Sport II and am looking for recommendations on a good ammo for skeet, trap and sporting clays. I am new to these sports and have no idea what ammo to start with. I understand the inertia system of the Sport II needs a minimum FPS to cycle reliably.

Thanks

I have an M2 which is pretty similar as far as the operating system goes and Federal target/field loads functioned flawlessly for practice. If I remember right those shells are at ~1150-1200 fps. The inertia system has never treated me badly, so I would say as long as the shells are listed as target/field you should be ok.

As far as those sports are concerned a shot of #7 1/2 - 8 does well, ~1 ounce of shot. Faster is better especially for trap.

When you get it shoot some target loads and if they work well you shouldn't have to worry about break-in. If not I would say to shoot some heavier loads and oil heavily to work things out.

Good choice of gun :D

I fired some Win Target(white box, red X I think) that was listed as 1100 or 1150fps, #8 and my Supersport cycled just fine, not a hiccup to be sensed.

I have also fired Win AA, Fed Field & Target, Estate, Win Super X and Rem Gun Club loads. Not a single malfunction at all, have about ~350 rds in it in the last 10 days. I have a couple cases of Fed Gold Medal on order, should be in soon.

Shoot 'em up! Congrats on your Sport II! Now I just gotta go pattern the thing. :eek:

Interesting. I read somewhere that Benelli recommends a minimum of 1200 FPS. That sounded odd to me. I might try some STS light load then (1145). I am looking online for ammo, but the shipping is a killer.

Um. How do I pattern my gun? Like I said. I am new to all this. I figured I just picked the right choke and was done.

Thanks - I have been looking at Gun Club and Rio ammo too.

I shoot a Vinci and I'm sure your SSII will be able to handle the same loads I've been shooting at the skeet club. WalMart Federal blue box 1oz 7-1/2 or 8 for $4.67 a box and they work just fine.

Congrats on the Super Sport too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Um. How do I pattern my gun? Like I said. I am new to all this. I figured I just picked the right choke and was done.

Patterning isn't required, but 1. if you are going to be semi-serious about the games it is good to know how your gun performs at range and 2. it gives you another reason to shoot things :D

In an ultra basic form (you can search the internet to find the "right" way) you set up a big piece of paper/cardboard and put a dot on it. Then you back up however many yards you will be shooting in the games or hunting (trap ~40, skeet/sporting ~20). Then you pretend that the dot you put on there is a bird, line up your sights just like you would when shooting a bird and shoot.

Then you walk up and see where your pellets went in relation to where you were aiming. Also it is good for seeing if there are any holes in your pattern that a bird could slip through or if your choke is tight enough. Statistically the more you shoot the same load/choke combination the better the average to see what is happening but that goes back to how serious you want to be.