Help needed to remove mag tube on Benelli M3

CJan_NH

First off, thanks for looking :)

Before I end up destroying my beloved, irreplaceable M3 I think I need some professional help in removing the magazine tube. I've read the older how-to threads here about removing M1/M2 mag tubes and I assumed it would be similar, but clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Per the advice of the other posts I purchased a heat gun and heated the receiver up to liquefy the thread locker. However, I can't seem to break the tube free no matter how hard I try-and I've heated the receiver up so much that the plastic forend support has started to deform :(

Since there are no flats on the tube I'm having a hard time getting a decent grip on it. I've tried wrapping the tube with tape and attacking it with a pair of slip joint Channel Locks, but I'm afraid of harming the receiver by applying too much force.

Is it just a matter of getting medieval on the tube after it's heated? I was under the impression that it should be relatively easy to break free once heated-so what am I doing wrong? These tubes have standard threads-lefty loosey, righty tighty right?

Thank you in advance for your help. It looks like I'm going to have a problem finding a forend support for my shotgun (serial number M087940), so I don't want to make things worse and try again without professional help.

Edited by CJan_NH

I have an M4 and the heat gun worked easily. Looks like the M3 is a different animal. I did a little Google search and found the following thread on another forum. The guy had to give up on the heat gun and break out a torch (YIKES!). Good luck! You apparently have some captive plastic parts in close proximity to tube and receiver. A small torch may allow you to concentrate heat right on the threads in the receiver.

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-32789.html

Paying a gunsmith $20 to remove it is better than wrecking it. ;)

I think you're right TK. Considering the havoc I caused with a mere heat gun I'm reasonably certain that me applying a torch would be far worse.

Simply put, I don't have the stones to tempt fate and find out-I like my M3 far too much to mess around any more than I already have.

Ohio_M4, thank you for finding that thread-it was extremely educational (to say the least) :D

Could someone please suggest a good smith who knows their way around inertia drive Benellis to safely remove my mag tube? I don't know anyone here on the NH seacoast to do the work, so I assume that I'll need to ship the gun out somewhere.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone!

I think you're right TK. Considering the havoc I caused with a mere heat gun I'm reasonably certain that me applying a torch would be far worse.

Simply put, I don't have the stones to tempt fate and find out-I like my M3 far too much to mess around any more than I already have.

Ohio_M4, thank you for finding that thread-it was extremely educational (to say the least) :D

Could someone please suggest a good smith who knows their way around inertia drive Benellis to safely remove my mag tube? I don't know anyone here on the NH seacoast to do the work, so I assume that I'll need to ship the gun out somewhere.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone!

Your local gunshop should know a good smith. Or if you have a Gander Mountain near you they can do the work.