vinci care question

bigkuntry72

please bear with me as im new the the world of hunting/firearms. i just purchased my first gun a max-4 vinci. when cleaning/lubing how much oil is needed? do i just wipe down the parts with oil or put a couple drops in and work the action? ive read many other threads on gun care/cleaning so i think ive got that part down. but how often does the trigger group need to come put for a good cleaning? after every use? is it best to use a separate cleaner then use the benelli oil after its clean? or use a cleaning lube in 1 deal? do i soak the snake in cleaner before runnin it through the barrel? do i want to run an oiled cloth through the barrel after its clean? thanks in advance for dealin with a rookie!

A minimal amount of oil is needed. A film is all you really need.I wipe down the bolt assembly parts, and spray a light coat on the parts that I don't un-assemble. i.e. the trigger group. I have access to compressed air, so after I spray the trigger group, I blow off the excess. I lube the rails that the bolt slides in. (Very important) and a drop or two on the locking lug surfaces. (Where the bolt locks into the receiver). Use the Benelli oil until it is gone. Most people on this forum prefer Break Free CLP as a cleaner, lubricator, and protector. Hence the CLP. It is a great product. I use Kroil. A great product as well. I do not use a snake, although I do own several. I guess if you use a snake, it would be appropriate to soak the front end of the snake before pulling it through. I use the old fashioned rod. That way I can run a solvent soaked brush through the barrel. I then let it set while I clean the rest of the gun. I then run a swab through the barrel to clean out the gunk. I do not oil the barrel after I clean. You can, it won't hurt anything, I don't. Most of the gun cleaning thing is common sense. If it looks like it needs an oil film, it probably does. Hope this helps a little. Good luck with the process, and welcome to the world of Benelli..Mike

I think hognuts did a pretty decent job describing the basics and the majority of it. As he said, it is really just common sense. Advances in firearms and powders in the past years have made it really easy on cleaning and upkeep. With the metals used in the firearm and the powder used nowadays, it is no where near as corrosive as it once was. It's quite easy to keep a gun in tip top shape.

With that said, theres one thing that my grandfather and my father always told me, oil on a gun never hurt a damn thing. ;)

I personnaly refuse to clean my SBEII Max-4 exterior with solvent. Some repports have shown that it can damage the cammo coating. I only use solvent in the interior parts, wipe the exterior with a damp cloth and add a very thin layer of oil on the exterior metal parts, then wipe the excess if any. I pay attention to any scratches on the exterior metal cammo finish. If any, keep a light oil film on it.