Stoppages with Montefeltro

Spike100

I was an early buyer for the Montefeltro so I have been using this model for a number of years now. I love my Benelli Montefeltro, but I do experience stoppages even when trying hard to maintain the gun properly during my pheasant hunts in SD.

I clean the gun daily during my hunts, but even just a single seed that finds its way into the receiver seems capable of stopping the gun’s function (that happened to me just yesterday, and it has been a problem in the past). My fix is simply having two guns available during the hunt. In fact, that is wise by any measure.

Apparently you should apply oil to the Montefeltro’s bolt. During the pheasant season in SD, I remove the oil and dry clean the bolt so it does not attract debris that seems common in SD. I’m thinking that might be my problem.

Here is my question:

Should I apply oil to the bolt (Benelli recommends doing this) and not worry about “field debris?”

Certainly an oily surface will attract and hold more debris, but an oily surface also provides a better-lubricated slide for the bolt. I guess it’s a trade-off. I’m interested in opinions from the participating members.

Thanks,

--Spike

Edited by Spike100
Experimenting with text sizing... I thought that it was auto

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to follow your advice. Your method matches what Benelli suggests in the Owners Manual for the Montefeltro.

I think the light oil coat you suggest will provide less friction and overcome the junk that get's into the receiver and bolt-slide.

--Spike

I have a short stock little Monty in 20 guage that I have used on Quail, Grouse and Pheasants for years. Normally I oil all the insides and wipe most of the oil off but leave just a trace on the grooves inside the chamber that the bolt rides in. Some of the fields I work have very tall dry grass and weeds, so by the end of the afternoon, I'm covered from head to toes with all kinds of debris and all sorts of little things inside the Benelli chamber. However, I have never had my little Monty fail in any way to fire, eject or reload. At the end of the day, I usually wipe the inside of the chamber/bolt area with my finger and I'm ready for the next day. Unless I'm caught in the rain, I clean my Monty only once during the entire season and I go out 3-4 times a week. I also use the cheapest Wally World promo loads in shot size 7+1/2. Have you ever noticed that those promo loads leave a lot of powder gunk inside the chambers? I love my little Monty.

I also have some Remingtons 20 guage semi-autos (1100's +1187's) that need a heavy dose of oil and have been known to jam up when I get to much leaves/sticks and other debris in them. Grouse hunting in heavy cover tends to attract a lot of stuff. My Remington Field grade 1100 in .410 also needs a healthy dose of oil.

My two Brownings are different. My Auto-5 in 20 guage gets a moderate dose of oil on the outside of the magazine tube where the friction rings grab and my Citori Special Field O/U model in 20 guage, gets one drop on the hinge pin and the rest stays bone dry.

Thanks for your reply, advice and experience. I appreciate that you took the time to post such a detailed message. Your advice matches what tucker301 recommends.

RE> Normally I oil all the insides and wipe most of the oil off but leave just a trace on the grooves inside the chamber that the bolt rides in.

That is good advice. You are placing lubricant where the Montefeltro requires less friction for its sliding bolt. I’m putting a couple of drops there for my hunt this Tuesday.

Thanks for help,

--Spike

Edited by Spike100
Experimenting with text sizing... I thought that it was auto

Here's my take on oil on/in a gun to anyone that has a basic concept of how a internal combustion engine works.

A car/truck/motorbike engine runs at incredible speeds, creating an incredible amount of heat over a long duration of time.(let us say we're taking a roadtrip to Alaska from Miami FL) The amount of oil between the piston rings and the cylinder wall is thin, very VERY thin. This thin coat of oil(with regular oil changes) seems to last 100,000+ miles, heck even 200,000 miles for the engine of a vehicle.

So, as Tucker stated, apply oil then wipe should be MORE than enough oil for your firearm during a day of hunting. If it's not, then it's a crap gun in my opinion(and *NO*, the Monty isn't a crap gun! Actually, could be one of the best Benelli buys out there!)

I hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Happy Hunting!

2-wheel

I would like to thank the people responding to my thread about stoppages with the Montefeltro. Your advice and instructions have solved my problem.

I’m a little “old school,” and had the best result with my previous gas operated auto-loading shotguns running dry (no lubricant) when shooting under conditions where debris quickly builds up on an oiled surface. That is why I thoroughly cleaned any oil-lubricant from my Montefeltro and ran the gun “dry.” Obviously the Benelli guns are different.

Everyone responding seems to state that my theory of operating the gun “dry” is why I am experiencing a problem. That advice also matches the instructions in the Montefeltro’s Owner Manual.

So I followed the advice I received here (a light oil coat applied to the bolt’s slide) on my hunt today. The gun worked perfectly.

I really like this type of Forum where advice is delivered quickly, and the result is solving problems.

--Spike

Edited by Spike100
Experimenting with text size... I thought it was auto