Magpul Dynamics Art of the Shotgun video review

Rezarf

I got the DVD series for Christmas, and after watching the handgun and carbine series, I was jazzed to see what the Shotgun video was like.

Here is my simple/humble/non-gunfighter review.

First off, I did learn a lot. Since this is the Benelli forum I was stoked to see the instructors run a M1, M4 for most of the drills. Other guns covered were the Rem 870 and 1100. Mossys were touched on but not covered nearly as detailed.

The instruction is simple, clear and well documented for reference in the drills section.

I learned a lot. Now, I had NO previous shotgun training, but I feel like I know what to train for at the range and dry training at home with dummy rounds. Mainly slug change overs, combat reloads and speed reloads.

The video was fair to the warrior, competitor, and average joe HD user equally. They corrected enough of the students to get a good understanding of what to look for in your own technique to see if you are on track.

They covered patterning and zeroing very well and their importance to a combat shotgun.

It had a great section on gear, accessories, ammo, and their pro's and cons.

I was hoping they would show a few more skills in operating the shotgun such as short-sticking, or leading targets but there wasn't any.

Overall, it is worth the $35 bucks and was an entertaining, well filmed, informative video series.

Just thought some others would like to know.

Rezarf,

A nice synopsis and I agree with your assessment. I had never really had much more than basic training in the tactical use of a shotgun, even while in the military. Much of it was new to me and from what others have told me, many LE types haven't gotten training at this level of sophistication.

As I have noted elsewhere, the tactical reloads and slug swap outs really highlight what's to like and not like on the M4. Of course, it mostly things to like as it's a great shotgun, but the bolt release button is too darn small and the videos might as well be an advertisement for the GG&G replacement pad.

One has to really think through if an over the top or underneath approach is best for reloads. I'd be interested in the thoughts of others, but I feel coming up from the bottom is the only way at this point, especially with a large replacement charging handle. Nothing to get in your way coming over the top on an 870, but the tiny release and the bolt handle size makes it problematic ( for me at this point anyway) with the Benelli.

Since I've not yet received any professional training on the shotgun this series looked pretty good so I picked it up about 6 weeks ago and tried some of the drills in the privacy of my family room using A-Zoom dummy rounds. My initial thoughts were "WTF, how to I do any of these with the stupidly long stock on the M4?!" The Urbino stock has made these drills very much easier.

43659662-IMG_2010_12_24_0504_c.JPG

Not sure if I'm a reach over or under guy but I'm carrying two slugs up and four buckshot down in my side saddle after the video.

Trying to adapt M4 Carbine skills to M4 Shotgun makes me appreciate the light weight and short length of the M4 Carbine even more. Even though a shotgun remains a tertiary weapon for me I know I need some real training and not just watching the videos several times.

The exercise on the second or third disk showing short range patterning in a house were revealing. Shotgun seems less than ideal indoors unless that's all ya got or you don't care about peripheral damage. My 15 yard pattern with buckshot is pretty tight and shows below but that was slow fire in daylight, not a snap shot in a dim hallway.

Shotguns are very busy. "If you're not shooting you should be loading" is good advice.

I'll have to pass judgment, though, until I've been to a professional two or three day "tactical" shotgun course.

12888124-IMG_2010_12_11_0532_s.JPG

-- Chuck

Chuck thats a nice group. What ammo and choke combo is that?

I have found that Federal Flight Control on a Improved Cylinder runs like a dream in my shotgun (M1).

Big Hat-

I think the same thing, loading the round from underneath seems much smoother and more natural for me. Not to mention the bolt slaming home on my hand if I can't get it out of the way fast enough. I need to get in some live fire to add to my dry training. Check out the Nordic round button as it is only $12 but will need a steady hand and drill press for installation.

The pattern test photo shown above is Winchester "Law Enforcement Ammunition." 12ga, 2-3/4", 9 pellets, 00 Buckshot. RA12005 (I try to buy ammo by specific designation). The shell is red and marked Low Recoil.

The stock M4 three notch Modified choke was in the gun. This shotgun and choke had the nicest pattern at 15 yards of the three I shot that day, but both the M4+BB CR choke and my M590A1 (cylinder bore) were no worse than in the -1 area. At 25 yards I started betting missing pellets.

Limited test. One round per target at each range.

-- Chuck

The pattern test photo shown above is Winchester "Law Enforcement Ammunition." 12ga, 2-3/4", 9 pellets, 00 Buckshot. RA12005 (I try to buy ammo by specific designation). The shell is red and marked Low Recoil.

The stock M4 three notch Modified choke was in the gun. This shotgun and choke had the nicest pattern at 15 yards of the three I shot that day, but both the M4+BB CR choke and my M590A1 (cylinder bore) were no worse than in the -1 area. At 25 yards I started betting missing pellets.

-- Chuck

Thanks for sharing.

-- Chuck

My range had some of this ammo which I tried out with my M4. The gun didn't consistently cycle the shells. I'm gonna stick with the Federal Flight Control.