SBE II loading problems.......

m2fun

Need some help with my SBE II.

I have a new SBE II (wood/blue), that wandered home with me. I am not able to load the magazine with the bolt (slammed) closed, the carrier will not lift with enough clearance to allow shells to be loaded. They hand up with about 1/2" remaining.

I have read and re-read the manual. I must be missing something. I have tried numerous times using snap-caps to try loading. I have to hold the bolt back enough to let the carrier raise to load two shells. Locking and letting the bolt go forward does not allow adequate clearance.

I can load, not the standard method, three rounds, two in the magazine by holding the bolt half way open, then sliding the third round in the chamber. Pull the trigger, manually cycle the bolt, shell ejects, next round loads, but sometimes reloading is blocked by the carrier not rising to an adequate clearance.

Any help would be appreciated. Puzzled by this one.

Thanks in advance.

[ 08-25-2006, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: m2fun ]

1. The bolt should be either opened or fully cycled and shut before loading.

Easing the bolt forward will not allow the head to fully rotate and engage, and you can neither load or shoot it in this position. Always make sure the bolt is all the way forward.

2. There is a tab or dog ear on the top side of the carrier that is supposed to fit into a slot in the bottom of the bolt.

If it's not alinged, it can snag on the edge of ths slot and prevent the carrier from going up any higher. Try pushing tthe carrier slight right or left to make it line up.

If thtis is the problem, it will get better with use and wear, but you can also carefully tweak the fit by bending the tab in the right direction using good linesman or needle nose pliers.

[ 08-24-2006, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Huh?

No need to slam the bolt - just close it all the way.

The carrier depresses to allow loading, no 'lifting' that I know of.

I know of that 1/2" stuck thing - but it only happens to me when the bolt is not closed all the way - I just close the bolt and the shell loads.

But, I do recall someone having a similar issue that you are describing, so maybe call Benelli CS? Something about the carrier not being aligned correctly? Too far left? Right? Not centered?

Good luck!

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

Huh?

No need to slam the bolt - just close it all the way.

The carrier depresses to allow loading, no 'lifting' that I know of.

I know of that 1/2" stuck thing - but it only happens to me when the bolt is not closed all the way - I just close the bolt and the shell loads.

But, I do recall someone having a similar issue that you are describing, so maybe call Benelli CS? Something about the carrier not being aligned correctly? Too far left? Right? Not centered?

Good luck!

mudhen - CA

OK, one more bit of info.

Checked the bolt forward and tab on the bolt, the carrier is in the tab, still not able to load a round in the magazine.

Interesting discovery -

Dissambled the barrel/forend/bolt from the receiver. You cannot press the magazine follower more than 1 1/2" until it stops (this is with the carrier in the flat/down position). Press the carrier latch on the inside, you are able to push the magazine follower forward with no obstruction.

I guess there is clearance between the carrier and magazine to allow for shell loading (with the bolt closed). The magazine follower hits a mechanical obstruction. I am looking schematics, not sure what it is that holds the magazine follower from advancing/stopping the shell from being loaded.

I did call Benelli CS earlier this week. Same explanation was provided, should work with the bolt closed. Well, like I told CS, it doesn't.

Any thoughts/advice?

I have not made it to the field with the SBE II to try with ammo. Just snap caps.

Box it up & send it back!

Get a return authorization from Benelli CS first.

Maybe a bent or wrong part.

Sounds like a bad mag follower or debris jammed in. My SBE II will jam up with leaky buffer, dirt, etc.

Clean the mag tube assembly.

Bet I could fix it in two minutes...

mudhen - CA

This is where I think many dealers fall way short of what they could or should be.

There's no reason that a dealer shouldn't be able to offer on-site diagnosis and repair for minor problems like this, and it's absurd to think that the gun has to go all the way back to Pocomoke, MD for repair.

Of course, in this case, Pocomoke is just a few minutes from the owners' home town.

Bet he still has to mail it :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tucker301:

This is where I think many dealers fall way short of what they could or should be.

There's no reason that a dealer shouldn't be able to offer on-site diagnosis and repair for minor problems like this, and it's absurd to think that the gun has to go all the way back to Pocomoke, MD for repair.

Of course, in this case, Pocomoke is just a few minutes from the owners' home town.

Bet he still has to mail it :rolleyes:

I have experienced the Beretta and Benelli versions of customer service. Not high on my list.

I am going to talk with the shop I bought it from, they are pretty good about making it right.

There must be a mechanical link/fault with this, from the schmatics, I just do not see it.

What is the magazine tube removal procedure? I remember reading it was reverse threaded at the receiver. That may shed some light on this.

thanks, will keep you posted.

I load the gun all the time without one in the chamber, so that's not much of an answer.

And, I rarely, if ever, load the chamber using the bolt release.

The limiter is call the 'plug', a federal (and state) requirement for many, many, decades.

No offense, but it sounds like you don't know much about guns in general.

Be careful :eek:

mudhen - CA