Many Many thanks StrangerDanger

skydiverman

your write-ups on the removal and re-install of the recoil tube have been helpful beyond anything I can describe. especially in the darkest moments (like when discovering the true horror of part 183J), there was a post here somewhere that you posted with all the info I needed. Just wanted to say a big thank you, I couldnt have done the re-install without your threads.

Also there is another way to free 183J :-) using a drill slightly larger than the diameter of the slot for 183J drill directly at an angle down into the slot so as to remove some material and widen a section. then rotate the clip so it is partially in that drilled spot and stick a small eyeglass type flat head screwdriver into the drilled section and you can get under the clip and push it directly into the center until can be grabbed by needle nose pliers. similar to the dremmel channel technique, but no dremel required.

Glad I could help. I know there was minimal information available when I needed to do my 11703. Everyone pretty much said it was impossible to do without destroying the receiver.

Did you use a drill press with a vice to make your relief cut?

actually I put the recoil buffer tube in the vice at a steep angle and used a hand held drill to make the cut. the channel held the bit in place so there was no issue there. I was wishing I had a dremel to make the channel cut, but having minimal power tools went with the drill - initially planning to drill through the donor tube and then push the ring out from teh outside, but once I made VERY slow progress (that is some tough metal) I realized the divit I made was sufficient to attack the ring from the side.

I hear ya. I was kicking myself for not manning up and buying a mill when I did mine. It would be one of those jobs where it would be extremely easy then. I think a mill and a small lathe are on the to do list by the end of the year.

Did you use a torch or a heatgun to break the locktite? I recently purchased a MAPP torch for some of these jobs the heatgun won't cut.

Did you use a torch or a heatgun to break the locktite? I recently purchased a MAPP torch for some of these jobs the heatgun won't cut.

Actually a small butane torch I bought some time ago for making creme brulee..

98877creme_brulee.jpg

It was slow going but worked fine with patience.. I had a propane torch also but it seemed like too much for the job. about 10 minutes in I was able to turn the big 1 1/16" nut, and as it turned it the recoil tube started to turn also so I knew it was ready - cut the heat and used a 3/4 on the tube to work on the nut, and then the 3/4" to get the tube out. easy sqeezy from there.