Supersport skeet choke tubes

ejm20

I recently bought a Supersport which comes with a nice assortment of choke tubes, full, modified, IC and cylinder but no skeet. The spec's for the cylinder is 0.000 and the typical skeet is 0.005. The cylinder is a bit looser than a skeet tube which may be insignificant but is a cylinder choke a good choice or should I get a skeet tube? It does appear that the pattern for the Supersport is a bit tighter across the board so perhaps the cylinder is the correct tube to use for skeet?

You almost answered your own question in that last question. The correct choke to use is the one that works for what you're using it for. Taking the measurements for each different constriction and applying them to anything other than a theoretical exercise doesn't do you any good when sending a pattern downrange towards a real target. The theoretical is a good place to start but you've got to take the gun out and test the patterning of each choke. Skeet is pretty much a known/consistent distance game. I've found that in the guns I use for skeet (M1/M2, 21 inch barrels) the IC choke works best for me. The pattern that my IC chokes throw is open enough for the close shots but tight enough for the longest shots, which really aren't that long when compared to sporting clays or trap. But that's me. Get the gun in front of a pattern board and see what the different chokes do at different distances. Or, shoot a whole round of skeet at Station 1 using different chokes on the short away/approaching targets, then do the same at Station 4 for the long crossers. You'll probably end up with a happy medium that will consistently break them at all stations. For your gun, that may be the cylinder, may be the IC, or may be something else completely.

Edited by truckcop