How the SBE loading work?

gerald

This maybe a "dumb" question but I can not figure out the proper steps to load shells into a Super Black Eagle.

I borrowed this gun from my Dad and he could not explain exactly how it should be done. I can get the 3 1/5" shells in the gun but I don't know if I have done it correctly. Sometimes the shells only want to slide in 1/2 way and will not go any farther?

What is the function of the little round black "button" on the side of the breach?

What is the function of the silver button (with red dot) located just in front of the trigger.

Loading procedure:

Load 2 shells

push silver button

pull breach open to load one shell in the chamber.

load 3 rd shell

question: Is it ready to fire all three shots? Or must I push the silver button to put a shell in the "ready" position? Now will it fire all three shell or just 2 shots?

Thanks for you help!

I don't mean this to sound as harsh as it will likely sound, but you should probably get some instruction on shooting and basic gun handling before taking on these fine guns.

Are you sure it's the SUPER Black Eagle? It should easily drop in a 3.5" shell whereas the Black Eagle, M1, and others have only a 3" chamber which would be the 1/2" short that you described.

The round black button is to close the action of the gun if the action is being held open. The silver button underneath releases a single shell from the magazine.

You don't have to do your loading procedure you mentioned, with the SBE's you can safely just drop a shell inside the receiver (where it normally ejects from) and hit the black button (make darn sure your fingers are out of there or it'll hurt), then load two rounds into the magazine.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot the 3.5" shells until you are proficient with the 2 3/4" and 3" shells. It'll rattle your fillings and while nowhere close to being unmanageable, for an inexperienced shooter it could be bad - it could knock you down and/or you could drop the gun damaging it.

Just be safe...

Bambihunter.....Thanks for the reply!

"I don't mean this to sound as harsh as it will likely sound, but you should probably get some instruction on shooting and basic gun handling before taking on these fine guns."

If you don't meant it to harsh then don't make the assumption that I need instruction on shooting and basic gun handling. I asked the question about the mechanics of loading a SBE shotgun.

As for "instruction on shooting" I was taught good handling and safety over 50 years ago by my Dad and my Grandfather. Then for 7 years I was in a rifle club where gun handling and safety was preached at our weekly meeting/shooting. I completed ALL the marksmanship ranks in the NRA Jr. program and won some rifle shooting compention matches (In you younger years).

"Personally, I wouldn't shoot the 3.5" shells until you are proficient with the 2 3/4" and 3" shells. It'll rattle your fillings and while nowhere close to being unmanageable, for an inexperienced shooter it could be bad - it could knock you down and/or you could drop the gun damaging it."

I started shooting a shotgun when I was about 12 years old when I started bird hunting. I did not know hunters would use a shotgun to hunt squirrels or rabbits....a shot to the head with 22 rifle worked great for me.

While I don't clam to be an expert shot with a shotgun, I would say that I consider myself "Proficient" in the shooting of a shotgun.

"I wouldn't shoot the 3.5" shells..... It'll rattle your fillings and while nowhere close to being unmanageable, for an inexperienced shooter it could be bad - it could knock you down and/or you could drop the gun damaging it."

I first shot a 45 cal simi-automatic pistol when I was 11 (with supervision) and I did not drop the gun. Yes it "jumped" a lot but I hit the target. Yes, the 3 1/2' Turkey load shells kick a little more than a 2 3/4" shell but they pattern much better at 45 yds.

Ok, I figured out why I sometimes could not load a shell into the magazine. The receiver was not fully closed.

Question....After the gun is loaded with 3 shell, I can open the receiver to remove 2 shell. The third shell stays in the magazine and I have to push siver button and then load the shell and eject it. If I were shooting the gun, would it shoot all 3 shells? My neighbors would not like it if I went outside to find out if all 3 shoot.

The only "oddity" or unusual item is the lever to release the shell in the mag. With 30 seconds, a SBE, a single shell, and basic knowledge any experienced shotgunner would know what all the functions do that's why I assumed you needed some exposure.

I in no measure was trying to insult you... (then or now), but you can likely understand our caution.

The SBE has a feature that if you cycle the gun by hand you should simply eject only the round in the chamber (this is so you can clear fences and such without having to empty the magazine). If both rounds were fully in the magazine you should actually have to hit the lever twice (one for each round). However, with the excellent design of the SBE it is possible to put a round below the bolt on the carrier (the little plunger thingy that moves when you put a shell in the magazine, it also lifts the shell up when loading). If they are truly both in the magazine then I don't know, mine hasn't ever done that...

Remember the SBE will actually hold 5 rounds (of 2 3/4" shells) if you remove the forearm cap and pull out the limiter plug. This is legal for all target shooting and some game hunting, but be certain to put it back in before hunting waterfowl and migratory birds (check your local regulations for all else).

Good luck with all your shooting endevours.