new member, with some questions.

c22m22c

hey all...

just bought a LIGHTLY used M1S90 (so light, in fact, the bolt assembly looks NEW, with no visible wear signs). being that its used its only coming to me with one choke.

i don't know which one it is.

i intend to shoot federal or winchester birdshot bought locally at my walmart. and i'll be throwing some slugs on occasion. and i'll be using federal 00 or #1 buck for home defense.

i don't want to shoot my choke downrange too.

so, can anyone help me determine which choke i have, determine if its the one i need for my intended shooting purposes, and/or point me in a direction to find the one i need.

i know less about chokes than i do about underwater basket-weaving...please help.

thanks.

calvin

Originally posted by tucker301:

A manual for your shotgun is available from the Benelli, Italy site.

http://www.benelli.it/Home.asp?Lan=EN

click "Customer Service"

click "Owners Manual"

The information you seek is on page 98.

thanks for that link. although i'm still confused as to which choke i'm going to need for my previously stated purposes. i was able to browse that site and find an exploded parts manual. very nice.

thanks

I believe that generally you would want just a standard Cylinder choke for shooting rifled slugs in your smooth barrel. Any constriction is going to be both hard on the barrel and the function of the slug.

You can generally shoot buckshot through any choke. There may be exceptions, but I am unaware of them. It all depends on your pattern. I would say buy what you are going to use for the bird loads (I recommend Modified). This will function just as well for home defense.

Hope that helps some!

Originally posted by Cleric:

I believe that generally you would want just a standard Cylinder choke for shooting rifled slugs in your smooth barrel. Any constriction is going to be both hard on the barrel and the function of the slug.

You can generally shoot buckshot through any choke. There may be exceptions, but I am unaware of them. It all depends on your pattern. I would say buy what you are going to use for the bird loads (I recommend Modified). This will function just as well for home defense.

Hope that helps some!

that helps a bit. i'm seeing that the least amount of restriction on a "normal" shot pattern, is the best(/safest) for a slug. is that correct?

i've determined that my choke has 4 notches. from looking at the .pdf manual, i have an improved cylinder. which slugs rifled/regular/sabot/etc can NOT be fired through an improved cylinder?

would it hurt the gun if i were to just say eff it all, and TAKE OUT the choke? is that a bad thing?

chokes man...chokes. :confused:

thanks again

[ 09-28-2005, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: c22m22c ]

The IC choke will shoot ANY buckshot or slug with no problems.

The best accuracy with slugs will be acheived by using rifled slugs designed to be used in smooth bore guns.

In anticipation of your next question, regarding which slugs to use; that information is available from ammunition manufacturers' websites, literature, gun shop counters (not 19 & 91 yr. olds at the Wal-Mart), gun club members, friends who know what they're doing, etc.

DO NOT use the weapon without the choke tube installed. The threads will be damaged, thus precluding the use of choke tubes in the future.