M1014 Ammo

AXE

I have a brand new M1014 and I’ve read so many forums on FB, Reddit, google that tell me not to use slugs, others say “sure, those are fine”. I’ve read some people say “only XYZ loads or else…” and I even called Benelli on 3 different occasions and got 4 different answers lol. Benelli said no riffled slugs, no slugs at all, only ammo under 1250 FPS and high brass only. Im so confused, I don’t want to ruin my shotgun and the owners manual isn’t much help. 

Thanks for any help!

• Upvote 1

I felt the same way too when I got mine,  I have gone through 300 slugs on my M1014 and checked it every 50 rounds when I went shooting and my barrel looks fine. I just practice with buckshot now since its my HD. If your concern with using slugs , just use the buckshot and enjoy the shotgun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Slugs are no problem. They can lead, however, after 50 rounds or so. Get some 100% copper wool Chore Boy kitchen pads, wrap some around a bore brush, and scrub to remove it. My local ranges only allow slugs. Any quality ammo will work in a Benelli. 

Edited by Pavia3
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The M1014 unlike the M4 has a fixed modified choke and thicker barrel which takes all ammo, the M4 has removable chokes if needed & the barrel is thinner at the exit. The M4, I wouldn't be shooting slugs with, that's just me though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, jsr1014 said:

The M1014 unlike the M4 has a fixed modified choke and thicker barrel which takes all ammo, the M4 has removable chokes if needed & the barrel is thinner at the exit.

Probably why Benelli recommends no choke more restrictive than an Improved Cylinder in the M4 for rifled slugs.

The M4, I wouldn't be shooting slugs with, that's just me though. 

Perfectly safe using only either a Cylinder, or Improved Cylinder choke. From Benelli's own website.

https://www.benelliusa.com/support/faq

Edited by Evolution
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3