Another (but different) Choke question.

John Doe

Hey guys,

I have noticed when having long shooting sessions that when I get home to clean the weapon, the choke is always loose and sometimes, the flush choke, has backed out enough for me to grab it with my fingertips. I have the Benelli choke wrench as well as a Carlson choke wrench, and I wrench them down pretty tight. I'm a big guy and pretty strong and I tighten it down to where if I keep going it feels like it will break so trust me it's tight. But without fail it will back out. Last time I kept notice of it and saw it back out after about 80-100 rounds (or about 4-5 boxes of 25), not like it is going to fly out, but I worried I might forget and may bump it on something and bend or dent the choke or damage the threads. So, my question is, is this normal? Did I damage the threads somehow? I half thought about locktiting an IC choke in it and calling it a day, but then I don't want to limit my shotgun to just IC, I have other chokes and like to be able to switch them out. So what is the problem, am I doing something wrong, is it damaged already? Is this something I can fix or is this just what it is?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, John Doe said:

Hey guys,

I have noticed when having long shooting sessions that when I get home to clean the weapon, the choke is always loose and sometimes, the flush choke, has backed out enough for me to grab it with my fingertips. I have the Benelli choke wrench as well as a Carlson choke wrench, and I wrench them down pretty tight. I'm a big guy and pretty strong and I tighten it down to where if I keep going it feels like it will break so trust me it's tight. But without fail it will back out. Last time I kept notice of it and saw it back out after about 80-100 rounds (or about 4-5 boxes of 25), not like it is going to fly out, but I worried I might forget and may bump it on something and bend or dent the choke or damage the threads. So, my question is, is this normal? Did I damage the threads somehow? I half thought about locktiting an IC choke in it and calling it a day, but then I don't want to limit my shotgun to just IC, I have other chokes and like to be able to switch them out. So what is the problem, am I doing something wrong, is it damaged already? Is this something I can fix or is this just what it is?

I had that problem with a breecher choke and put a couple layers of grey plumbers tape on the threads. That fixed my problem so you might try that.

• Like 1