Is this normal

New gun, shot only about 100rds threw it, failure to feed/extract fiocchi high velocity 9 shot buckshot and same with sellier & bellot special slugs. It will cycle Winchester AA 8 shot no problem and federal trueball no problem.

IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_4928.jpeg

IMG_4927.jpeg

IMG_4926.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4921.jpeg

IMG_4831.jpeg

Not normal to not cycle on any of the higher powered shell options. It sounds that those are. I have had issues before when using 7/8 oz loads in my Super Black Eagles. It would eject the empty, but not come back far enough to trigger the shell release so it would then close on an empty chamber. You didn't say which gun this was for, but it is more common for the 3.5" SBE's to have this issue than it is for the 2.75" - 3" guns. I'm guessing due to the enclosed top of the receiver and the stop ring on the barrel that it is likely a M2 or newer style M3.

That gun sure doesn't look new, or even one that has had 100 rounds through it, but pictures are hard to read sometimes. It is not uncommon for guns to need broken in a bit. You also might try using DRY lube on the rails for the bolt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bambihunter said:

Not normal to not cycle on any of the higher powered shell options. It sounds that those are. I have had issues before when using 7/8 oz loads in my Super Black Eagles. It would eject the empty, but not come back far enough to trigger the shell release so it would then close on an empty chamber. You didn't say which gun this was for, but it is more common for the 3.5" SBE's to have this issue than it is for the 2.75" - 3" guns. I'm guessing due to the enclosed top of the receiver and the stop ring on the barrel that it is likely a M2 or newer style M3.

That gun sure doesn't look new, or even one that has had 100 rounds through it, but pictures are hard to read sometimes. It is not uncommon for guns to need broken in a bit. You also might try using DRY lube on the rails for the bolt.

The gun is a benelli M4 that I purchased brand new 2weeks ago. I took the gun in today to where I purchased it from, they mentioned it was not lubed enough. And also needs to be broken into. Changes I’ve made to the gun before first shooting is the the swap of the mag loader tube. Gun comes with the 5+1 and I added 7+1 new oem benelli tube, tube didn’t come with new 7+1 spring because I’ve been told it’s the same exact spring by benelli and other post I’ve read on here. Same part #. Also I took out the choke it come installed  with and added the Carlson breacher choke that’s made specifically for this benelli M4. 

The things you added shouldn't really be an issue. I do always recommend using things as they are for a bit to see how they work as it is before swapping stuff out. This is true for cars as well as guns. Otherwise, one won't know if the part(s) they added is the issue, or if it never ran right to start with. When feasible, I always try to do one thing at a time to make troubleshooting easier.

On every new Benelli I've bought, I've always felt there was too much oil. I do know once I get a couple hundred rounds through it, I switch to dry lube nearly exclusively. I've been on too many duck hunts were someone is having issues with FTE or FTF and it is almost always due to wet oil attracting dust, dirt, and small debris from dried out vegetation that gets in the works; usually the magazine tube. I have made some nice scratch over the years buying guns from fellow hunters that were, in their words, "jam-o-matics". Took them home, cleaned them up, and then take that gun on the next hunt. A fair amount of people end up buying it back once they see it working perfectly again. These were mostly Super Black Eagles and M1's.

9 minutes ago, bambihunter said:

The things you added shouldn't really be an issue. I do always recommend using things as they are for a bit to see how they work as it is before swapping stuff out. This is true for cars as well as guns. Otherwise, one won't know if the part(s) they added is the issue, or if it never ran right to start with. When feasible, I always try to do one thing at a time to make troubleshooting easier.

On every new Benelli I've bought, I've always felt there was too much oil. I do know once I get a couple hundred rounds through it, I switch to dry lube nearly exclusively. I've been on too many duck hunts were someone is having issues with FTE or FTF and it is almost always due to wet oil attracting dust, dirt, and small debris from dried out vegetation that gets in the works; usually the magazine tube. I have made some nice scratch over the years buying guns from fellow hunters that were, in their words, "jam-o-matics". Took them home, cleaned them up, and then take that gun on the next hunt. A fair amount of people end up buying it back once they see it working perfectly again. These were mostly Super Black Eagles and M1's.

I feel the same way with too much lube , excessive dirt injection causing similar failures. Due to this I was willing to run the gun at the range with only the lube from the factory. I just purchase 250rds of federal true ball 1600fps. Also have 15 boxes of that fiocchi I will shooting this weekend. Things I will be doing different this run, excessive lubrication on most moving parts, cleaned 7+1 tube (no lubrication in this tube), will be bringing 5+1 tube to test , I will use same original tube spring on both tubes. I will give an update on Saturday!

• Upvote 1