sbe break-in

sbe greg

I just got a new SBE - got a great deal at $899 - was on the rack right next to a dozen SBE II's at $1299. I had read a lot about needing to put a few boxes of heavier loads thru it before shooting target loads reliably, but I was anxious to go shoot it and my local range only allows target loads, so I took my chances. With 2 3/4 and 3 dram loads of 1 or 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot, I put 150 rounds thru it without a single failure to cycle. Is this typical or am I just lucky to have it working so well with target loads right off the bat?

I'd say since it is a SBE, the break in period has already been taken care of by the previous owner. Still it is pretty fortunate that your gun will cycle 1 oz. loads. My roomates SBE will not shoot anything lighter than 1 1/8 oz. My SBE II shot 1 oz. right out of the box!

Was the gun in new condition? when i first posted I automatically assumed you had a used gun. Looking at what you paid, I'm now thinking maybe it is new. Either way, 1 oz. laods through a SBE is impressive

[ 05-11-2006, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: MOFOWLER ]

Gun was brand new. The store was Dicks Sporting Goods which was formerly Gander Mountain, and the box had a Gander Mountain price tag on it. I think it somehow was old inventory from before Dicks acquired the Gander Mountain chain and they had marked it down.

Hey sbe greg,

Congratulations on the SBE purchase. I picked up a new SBE 1 a few months ago and I like it a lot. I like the looks of the SBE over the SBE II.

When you get a chance, pick up an X-Coil or Limbsaver custom fit, ready to install recoil pad and you will go a long way towards controlling the recoil of the heavy magnum loads.