SBE II and slugs through smoothbore

kberyldial

I talked to a guy at Lightfield and he said that he wouldn't shoot ANY slug through a SBE II smoothbore barrel. Is this true? Not even a Foster slug through an IC choke? He was pretty adament and I haven't received my slug barrel yet so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just use a different gun.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by kberyldial:

I talked to a guy at Lightfield and he said that he wouldn't shoot ANY slug through a SBE II smoothbore barrel. Is this true?

It's either true or you're a pathological liar :confused:

I mean, did he say it or not?

Enough jesting.

I suspect what you really meant to ask was whether or not the rest of us agreed with his statement.

I do not.

I shot slugs through a smoothbore IC for several years. They grouped well and there were no ill effects on the barrel.

As long as the slugs are of the design for smoothbores, there should be no problems using them in your SBE, or any other modern firearm with IC or wider choke.

The pressure out of a slug bearing shotgun shell is no different than any other high performance shotgun shell. Trust me, the manufacturers wouldn't be selling them if there was the SLIGHTEST chance they'd wreck a gun. Perhaps it's because Lightfield slugs just don't perform that well out of smoothbores that you got that spiel. Try the new Federal Truball ... it's getting great reviews and excellent groups for a smoothbore slug. Many guys are getting good results with Remington Buckhammer for smoothbores too.

Originally posted by kberyldial:

I talked to a guy at Lightfield and he said that he wouldn't shoot ANY slug through a SBE II smoothbore barrel. Is this true? Not even a Foster slug through an IC choke? He was pretty adament and I haven't received my slug barrel yet so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just use a different gun.

Thanks in advance.

kberyldial - I shot slugs through a smoothbore barrel for about 20 years. I am a big fan of sabot slugs through a fully rifled barrel but rifled slugs through a smoothbore will certainly get the job done. Stick with the choke recommendations above and you will be fine. There really is no need to spend the $ on sabot slugs if your not shooting a rifled barrel though. The sabot will not discard properly if shot through a smoothbore. You would be best served to stick with rifled/foster style slugs if your not going to shoot through a rifled barrel. Good luck!

Supposedly; sabot slugs through a smoothbore barrel do not separate properly because they lack spin. They tend to pitch & yaw ... or roll. So you definitely do NOT want to use sabots in a smoothbore because you're actually LOSING rather than gaining for the extra money you invest in expensive premium slugs.

Originally posted by Butch-M:

The pressure out of a slug bearing shotgun shell is no different than any other high performance shotgun shell. Trust me, the manufacturers wouldn't be selling them if there was the SLIGHTEST chance they'd wreck a gun. Perhaps it's because Lightfield slugs just don't perform that well out of smoothbores that you got that spiel. Try the new Federal Truball ... it's getting great reviews and excellent groups for a smoothbore slug. Many guys are getting good results with Remington Buckhammer for smoothbores too.

The only slug I know of that has "wrecked" guns is the Rem Copper Solid in the Hastings line of bbls. They don't recommend using them in thier bbls. Just a recommendation if you own a Hastings bbl. They don't make bbls for Benelli shotguns BTW.

Say Bootster ... any idea how and why the Remingtons damaged Hastings barrels??? I'm just curious. I don't know anything about Hastings; other than they've been around forever. I would have thought they made a pretty decent barrel. A friend of mine is looking for a barrel for his ancient 870 pump, and Hastings WAS one of the options.