Benelli M4 slug groups. Rifled choke vs Improved Cylinder.

Alaskapopo

Here is a group fired with Federal reduced recoil slugs at 50 yards with the IC choke.

Targets002.jpg

One shot barely touches the paper. This is a 5.5 inch group.

This group was fired with the rifled choke tube.

Targets001.jpg

Thats 2.6 inches at the same range with the same ammo. Last three gun match I was at they had an all slug stage. I will be using this choke in those type of stages.

Here are some breneke slug groups with the rifled choke.

Nice grouping. I apologize for my ignorance, as I am strictly smoothbore and an amateur one at that, but are rifled chokes graded? ie IC, mod etc? I know nothing about rifled chokes. Also, did you have to compensate for the range or are the groupings pretty much point of aim? Lastly, what is that at the end of your full length mag (since I don't have one) another mag extension? special standoff device? Thanks. I haven't been around too often lately so I haven't seen your other posts if you described these in the past, and since I am inquiring about the choke, I got lazy and didn't do a search...

Nice grouping. I apologize for my ignorance, as I am strictly smoothbore and an amateur one at that, but are rifled chokes graded? ie IC, mod etc? I know nothing about rifled chokes. Also, did you have to compensate for the range or are the groupings pretty much point of aim? Lastly, what is that at the end of your full length mag (since I don't have one) another mag extension? special standoff device? Thanks. I haven't been around too often lately so I haven't seen your other posts if you described these in the past, and since I am inquiring about the choke, I got lazy and didn't do a search...

I sighted the shotgun in to hit at point of aim at 50 yards. Rifled chokes are simple screw in chokes with rifling. No grades.

The thing at the end of my barrel is a magazine extension. It allows me to load 8 rounds in the magazine. I shoot in USPSA three gun competitions and the class I shoot allows you to have 8+1 in the gun. This allows me to be competitive. I can load 8+1+1 but its a pain in the arse to load the carrier while on line at a match.

Pat

OOoooh, 8+1. That's plenty for home defense too. Thanks for the reply. Now I have to think about getting a full length tube. Which mag extension is that? It looks like that extension has the detents to hold it in place like a mag cap?? Thanks again.

OOoooh, 8+1. That's plenty for home defense too. Thanks for the reply. Now I have to think about getting a full length tube. Which mag extension is that? It looks like that extension has the detents to hold it in place like a mag cap?? Thanks again.

Yes the tube is belled in at the end and you put in what looks like a follower but it goes in the tube and holds the spring in place. Its made by Daves Metal works. http://www.davesmetalworks.com/ben.html

One word of caution I am getting by the law (Section 922) by being a law enforcement office using this as my duty shotgun. For you to install the extended magazines (more than 5 rounds) you need to make it a short barrel shotgun or have 5 or more US made parts in your gun. My gun has a US made tube, and extension and follower. Also with the extension I can actually load 8 in the tube 1 on the carrier and one in the chamber for 10 rounds.

Pat

Have you fired any "00" buck through the choke? I'm curious as to how it handles it....... I currently also have an M-4 as my duty scatter-gun. I bought a high end "skeet" choke and leave it in mine all the time. It cured the problem of occasional flyers and gave me the best pattern when shooting slugs, and holds a nice tight pattern with the "00" buck that we use. I'm always interested in anything that may increase the inherant accuracy of any of my "work tools".

What brand and dia. is the choke?