Break in techniques for brand new M2

Gumby

Hello, I am new to Benelli having just purchased a new M2, and am wondering if someone could give me some pointers on a few items:

First question is about breaking it in, Would it be better for me to shoot 3" magnum shells through it right away or is it better to shoot 2 3/4 shells? How many shots does it generally take to break in the gun? I haven't had time to read the owners manual yet but I wanted some pointers from you guys anyhow. Should I take the gun all the way down and thoroughly clean it before shooting it? Also the bead looks a little small and I may want to change it out, is that hard to do and what is a good brand and type to buy? Any info would be great,

Thanks....:D

I have a different shotgun but my dealer told me that i needed to shoot the most powerful round ever expected to be shot with my SBEII and i ran 3 boxes of 10 ea Turkey hevi-shot 3.5 rounds and it has failed to have FTF,FTC or any other malfunction. It loves expensive shells and spits them like i spit watermelon seeds!! It also loves cheap wallyworld shells and never a malfunction with them! You would be ok probably with just some high brass rounds, just do not use bird/trap rounds! reading manual on this issue should address this issue? but i know how manuals are written and hard to understand! Big issue is using correct cleaning teqniques when ya do clean it!! overlooked and it will cause issues!! operator errors are easy to deny and done a lot!! READ manual and you should not have issues, do not read manual and you WILL have issues!! Italian shotguns are different animals but do take getting used to differences!

Thanks for the info Hog. I will be using this gun mainly for hunting and maybe a little bit of trap shooting. I will shoot 3" mag shells thru her first then. Turkey season is right around the corner here anyhow. What in your opinion are the best 3" shells that I can buy? The shells that would put them as close to 3.5's as possible. I have the 28" model so that should help it reach out and wallup the almighty, majestic, elusive, respected and ever so intelligent gobbler (usually I see big gobblers feeding right by my truck and I have to get creative to even make it a challenge around here). It's always a GREAT time though!!:D

I just got my M2. Right out of the box it was clean and well lubed. I ran a bore snake through it and put a couple of drops of the lube it came with in the action. Shot 2 boxes of 2 3/4 high brass hunting loads, then a mixed box of 3" (some steel), then finished the day off with 7 boxes of 2 3/4" Field/Target loads. The gun was flawless. I also thought the bead was a little small, I like the Hi/Viz green ones. I'll probably get one of those.

Thanks for all the great info Hog!! I am getting the choke tube and shells asap. Thanks for your great help too thegiantc, love gettin info from you guys cuz you probably shoot more shells in a month than I do in my whole life!! I will pass any info onto others whenever I have something to tell....

Spend some time at pattern board, can't spend too much time there and all will be well, just keep the remoil at wallyworld. I suspect the M2 has adjustable stock and if you are one of the 8% of the people that need no adjustments more power to ya but adjustments are easy as long as ya do not over think about them! i agree the front sights are hard to see and would advise on going with different one that is visible!! also i looked at your manual and it seems you only have drop adjustments , also use some choke tube lube and when you do not use the shotgun loosen tubes so they do not cement into threads! just make sure it is allways tight before pulling trigger but check it before ya load gun! owners manual explains what you can shoot thru OEM tubes so read carefully and enjoy! go here and see if you can pickup any info, do not join just surf a while and they use M2's and put them thru their paces!!

http://www.duckcommander.com/commandPost/forums/

You bet Hog I will check out all the info and of course I will always keep safety in mind when loosening the choke tube, and all else Thanks!!

I have a pointer here for others, it has nothin to do with shotguns tho, it is about deer hunting. I saw Ted Nugent load a whole deer in the bed of his pickup by himself with a Glenn's deer handle. It looked easy so thought I'd try it last year and it is easy!! Also the handle sure helps draggin a deer out of the woods, big time. Anyhow here is the technique to use pulling the deer in your pickup: First attatch the handle around the deers horns, or neck, and lower the tailgate and climb into the bed of truck. Then squat down and grab the handle with both hands. Then while still squatting lift and pull the deer into the truck by using your LEGS (very important, use legs not your back!!).

Nothing to it man, after bustin my balls all these years this handle has helped me out alot!! I am usually draggin deer out by myself (cuz I have no friends) so I need all the help I can get......