Hevi Shot in Benelli M1 Super 90?

chase

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Hevi shot is harder than steel. Hevi-shot is heavier and more dense, but not harder. That being said, I don't believe you will have any issues running Hevi-shot through your factory chokes. At least I haven't had any issues running it through my SBE and M1 S90 field gun. Others, please weigh in on this subject.

Hey all,

I have a M1 that has been my workhorse gun and I plan to use Hevi 13 loads this turkey season. HOWEVER I will only use an after market turkey choke made specifically to handle Hevi loads-- The Rhino; it has a .673 opening.

I would not be inclined to shot Hevi through the Benelli factory Mobilchokes that are IM or tighter.

By the way, I have an older Benelli-branded turkey choke that would be WAY too tight for anything but lead shot.

Interesting. I am not going to sit here and write that I am right and someone else is wrong about what chokes and shells to use, but I would like some more people to put their 2 cents in. Because I have shot at least two boxes (20+ rounds) through my SBE with a benelli turkey choke. I believe the diameter is .675 (if I remember right). All I end up with is dead turkeys...

Interesting. I am not going to sit here and write that I am right and someone else is wrong about what chokes and shells to use, but I would like some more people to put their 2 cents in. Because I have shot at least two boxes (20+ rounds) through my SBE with a benelli turkey choke. I believe the diameter is .675 (if I remember right). All I end up with is dead turkeys...

To be sure, I don't claim to know what's right- just my preferences:)

I won't use my factory mobilchokes tighter than Mod. with anything but lead because I've had them for 14 seasons now and want to know some more about the newer loads like Hevi before I use those chokes with 'em. They've served me good and I'm superstitious anyway.

The Hevi shot loads use thicker wads and have coating on the pellets as you guys know. To my way of thinkin' those are both done to protect tubes and barrels.. so I'll use my after market chokes for now. That turkey choke you mention is within a few thousandths of the one I use with Hevi. My older Benelli turkey choke is super tight.

Happy hunting, and may a long beard walk into your sight lines this spring!

I've been shooting "old school" Remington Hevi-Shot,Hevi 13,and Federal Heavyweight through all kinds of tubes that were labeled "Lead shot only" since the start of the "Heavier than lead" craze started and have had no problems with mechanical malfunctions.I took on the risk and accepted the responsibility of what could happen.Many of the said tubes have since been approved for use with the newer loads.

Now,if you go out and blow your barrel in half tomorrow,please don't go and tell everyone it's because Chad told you it was OK!;)

I've been shooting "old school" Remington Hevi-Shot,Hevi 13,and Federal Heavyweight through all kinds of tubes that were labeled "Lead shot only" since the start of the "Heavier than lead" craze started and have had no problems with mechanical malfunctions.I took on the risk and accepted the responsibility of what could happen.Many of the said tubes have since been approved for use with the newer loads.

Now,if you go out and blow your barrel in half tomorrow,please don't go and tell everyone it's because Chad told you it was OK!;)

Thanks- this is great info. I am test patterning turkey chokes with Hevi 13 this weekend before our later northern seasons start and this will be helpful to know.

Hevi·Shot™ is comprised of tungsten alloy (tungsten is an element which is harder than steel/iron), nickel, and iron (approximately the same hardness of shotgun barrels). Hevi·Shot™ pellets must be contained within a specially manufactured, purpose-built shotcup, without which pellet contact with the barrel and subsequent damage to the barrel (such as scoring and pitting) becomes likely.

Hevi Shot is harder than steel!!!!!