Newbie Range Report: Benelli M4

Mr. Shotgun

hello all.....

I got to go to the range today with my Benelli M4.....

brought some Remington 00 buck, some Royal low-recoil, full power 00 Buck (whatever that means), and some Hornandy Personal defense 00 buck.....

Overall the recoil from the Royal and Remingtons were manageable and I was able to hit my target 50-75 yards away....but one thing I did notice was that the pellets were spreading really wide by the time it hit the target.

I was using human sized paper targets and the pellets spread to the point that the groupings were like 1.5 feet apart...... that was when I was wondering if I was shooting my gun out of its effective range??

But anyhow when I popped in the Hornandy rounds I was hit with so much recoil that it was way beyond my comfort level. I would stop to complain, swear and cuss a bit in between shots......and right after the people shooting next to me would look at me and laugh....lol....even the girl I took to the range was laughing.. but anyway... I have a nice bruise on my shoulder now... hope I wont wake up sore tomorrow...

all in all... the gun is great, got many compliments at the range, in addition, it never jammed, fired everything ...I just have to throw some slugs in there and see how it does.

hello all.....

I got to go to the range today with my Benelli M4.....

brought some Remington 00 buck, some Royal low-recoil, full power 00 Buck (whatever that means), and some Hornandy Personal defense 00 buck.....

Overall the recoil from the Royal and Remingtons were manageable and I was able to hit my target 50-75 yards away....but one thing I did notice was that the pellets were spreading really wide by the time it hit the target.

I was using human sized paper targets and the pellets spread to the point that the groupings were like 1.5 feet apart...... that was when I was wondering if I was shooting my gun out of its effective range??

But anyhow when I popped in the Hornandy rounds I was hit with so much recoil that it was way beyond my comfort level. I would stop to complain, swear and cuss a bit in between shots......and right after the people shooting next to me would look at me and laugh....lol....even the girl I took to the range was laughing.. but anyway... I have a nice bruise on my shoulder now... hope I wont wake up sore tomorrow...

all in all... the gun is great, got many compliments at the range, in addition, it never jammed, fired everything ...I just have to throw some slugs in there and see how it does.

I know what you mean. when I first shot mine I tried out the low recoil versions and the full strength semi auto versions. The LR work just fine but the SA stuff was painful. Also, the shot patterns for the LR were tighter than the SA. I found that I prefer the low recoil buck and slugs and that is what I have in it for HD.

I know what you mean. when I first shot mine I tried out the low recoil versions and the full strength semi auto versions. The LR work just fine but the SA stuff was painful. Also, the shot patterns for the LR were tighter than the SA. I found that I prefer the low recoil buck and slugs and that is what I have in it for HD.

yeah, i think thats the same conclusion that i am coming down with too....

i also wanted to add that this morning i didnt wake up that sore...although the bruises are still there and very visible....

i realize also that my cheeks are sore too from the stock smacking up against my face.....but its ok... my face has no black/blue marks :(