Very quick new guy question? Long range shotgun??

idohcvtecexi

last month, there were thousands of acres of milo planted in southern Denton co., and northern Tarrant co.,i have never seen so many dove. but the lease prices range from $50.00 to $120.00 ridiculous.the best hunts ive ever had were around Seymore & Knox City,TX. hundreds of thousands of acres of sunflowers and milo.lease price.....$20.00 - $25.00 per day, per gun.i limited out in 50 minutes. so being the smart a**, i am i got another limit. 30 birds when we left the lease. at the end of the road sat a green dodge pick up. yep you guessed it. TEXAS GAME WARDEN. we were all 4 were ticketed and paid an $836.00 fine. so if you ever go out that way leave legal.

on another note. before you ever pay for a lease, go to it for a few days in the am, and watch the field for dove coming in.

timb99

you really condradicted your self to an extent there my friend. if one gun shoots a tighter pattern than another ,it is naturally going to have a little better range. it just stands to reason. like i said the differences are not great but they are noticeable. most of the smokeless powders we use today have been around since before the 1940s.dupont,imr,green dot, red dot, and blue dot to name few. a friend of mine has an old marlin bolt action 12ga with a 36"barrel full choke. ugliest gun ive ever seen. we patterned it against my 870 with a full choke 24" barrel.using same ammo. at 40yds my pattern covered a 36" piece of poster board. his pattern was less than 20".this was a big difference. the next thing we did was take a mossberg 500 12ga 20" barrel open choke, and put it up against a mossberg 12ga with a 28" modified. we were shooting out across a lake. and you could see that the 28" gun was shooting considerably farther than the 20". even the manufacturers will tell you that barrel length, choke ammo,all play a role in the performance of a shotgun. who would know more about them than the people that make them?? i do agree that gauge makes no difference.

Steve Conovor is a shotgun expert he has proven that a longer barrel has a better pattern than a short one, also check out this... www.metrogun.com if you still dont believe it.

i was thinking how funny it would be to see "idoh" in the field with a goose gun.:D no offense intended. i dont think on a flat plain that a shotgun would shoot a 1000ft with a slug. if it did i bet the slug would drop 2 1/2 feet.

timb99

a friend of mine has an old marlin bolt action 12ga with a 36"barrel full choke. ugliest gun ive ever seen. we patterned it against my 870 with a full choke 24" barrel.using same ammo.

Splash,

Are we going to talk about this again. The full choke in the marlin is not the same full choke in the 870. All chokes are different. My stock full choke for my nova, is way different than the Carlson full choke I use now in my Nova. Same gun. Two different chokes. I bet if I put a 24'' barrel on the same gun and used the same chokes. I wouldn't see that much or no differance.

My remington SPR 310 full choke doesn't even measure to a full choke. Really none of the 310 chokes measure right. The IC choke measure out to a Cylinder, Mod. is not even IC.

Like I said before, The choke does almost all the work. barrel length doesn't do much. Like Tim said, I haven't seen a waterfowl hunter with a gun over a 28 inch barrel. Maybe one guy uses a 30 inch barrel. I do know a guy that shoots a 32 inch barrel when shooting skeet. But I don't think he is worried about a tight pattern all the way out to 17 yards.

My father-inlaw shoots a A-5, 30'',full choke. He wins at the turkey shoots all the time. But so does my cousin. In shoots a 410,26'',full choke.

I don't know. I never win. But I'm the only one with real turkeys on my wall.

peace,

Novaking

you know whats funny is the fact that i have searched the intire internet on the subject of longer barrels vs short. and for every 500 people you ask that says long out does short, you can find 500 more that says just the opposite.but i have been patterning shotguns for over 20yrs, so ill stand by my belief that a longer barrel has a little better range and pattern than a short one. right or wrong that is my belief.