M2 vs SBE2

CLS924

Hi, I'm looking into buying a new benelli within the next week or so. My question is whats the difference between the SBE2 and the M2. I know the SBE2 is 31/2 inch compared to the M2 being only 3 inch, as well as the SBE having a larger trigger guard. Other than that, how do the 2 compare to each other. The site says that SBE2 is faster on targets by 69% and the M2 is only faster by 20%. What differs in the guns? Thanks

Personaly I went with the M2. Two reasons: One is the price, I got my M2 for 900 while a SBE2 was closer to 1250. Two is the fact that I think 3.5 inch shells are way more than I will ever need to fire. Now what you siad about faster on target I think they ment that a SBE2 is faster on target for the falow up shot using 3.5 shells and the M2 is 20% faster using 3 inch shells. Just my guess. But I love my M2!

If you don't shoot 3.5" ever, then the M2 is the way to go.

I go some years w/o ever firing a 3.5" from my 2 SBE's, but then there are some years like this one, where the weather dictates what I shoot.

For whatever reason, my SBE's really shoot the newer fast 3.5" Federal steel shot shells really well. They cycle well and pattern well. I hunted Sunday in a 20 mph wind, and the 3.5" shells were very effective.

Now, all of this 3.5" is pretty much moot if you decide to shoot Hevi Shot or Matrix. With those two, I cannot imagine when a 3.5" shell would really offer much more than a few extra pellets.

I am going to wait for the new Monte Crio in synthetic camo.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

I am going to wait for the new Monte Crio in synthetic camo.

mudhen - CA

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no camo monte now and from what I understand the Monte and M1 are the same gun, but the monte is prettier and the M1 is field gun. Wouldn't a crio Monte be pretty much the same as a M2?

There is no camo Monte now, hence my use of the words "I am going to wait".

There were camo Montes in the past, but they were merely camo film over wood.

Nelli Girl just told us the Monte would be Crio in 2005, so that part is covered.

Nelli Girl also told us about the new all-black Cordoba with a synthetic stock that will look like a SS.

The SS has the long Monte forearm, so it appears that they will be making the Monte style stock in snythetic for the first time.

I am hoping that they will allow the Monte to sport the synthetic stocks soon.

Maybe the Cordoba will get camo? If so, that might be my next choice. Or I can dip the Cordoba?

I have shot many Montes and M1/M2s. They feel very different to me. (I think I have shot almost 20 Benelli models total)

The M1/M2 is a beefy frame with bulky forearm. The rib is very high. The gun is in no way smooth and graceful, but great for waterfowling with gloves, etc.

The Monte is a smooth graceful machine. The receiver is less bulky and the long forearm is thinner and very comfortable to grip. The rib is dead flat.

They are very different guns from a shooters standpoint.

mudhen - CA

Thats the reason I was looking at the 391 Sporting 20, it weights almost a pound more than the monte or the normal 391 20 but still less than my 391 12 or my SBEs.

I've never been before and I'm not sure who to listen too about how the recoil will bother me. I'm younger that everyone I talked too and none of them work out or run or eat right, so who knows. I may be able to shoot my 12s and be fine, on the other side I would hate to get down there and be so sore after 1 day I couldn't shoot anymore.

Drundel,

He is shooting 12. He is probably 5'10 and weighs @210. I don't know the volume of his actual shooting when he is down there. From what he has told me you can wear yourself out shooting there are so many birds. Some guys would start out maxing the rounds in there guns and then taper off, because they would get tired of lifting the gun. He takes two Montes and recommends bringing two guns so you have a spare. He has had no problem with the Montes, but recommended bringing spare o rings/seals if you take an 1100. One fellow spent more time fixing his 1100 then shooting. Not bashing Rem just passing on the story. He recommends Tucamen, Argentina. The fellows he went with said that was the best place they have been in SA. They used TREK outfitters out of Ponta Verde, FLA. Shells were $9.50 a box in Tucamen, I guess you can't bring your own.

His biggest complaint was his should would get raw from mounting the gun (chafing). Recommended bringing a vest or a shirt with a quilted vest.

Hope this helps. Good luck! One day I would like to do it myself.

I saw Argentina dove hunts on the the Outdoor Channel a few weeks ago. They said you easily shoot 1,000 rounds a day. That includes taking a lunch/siesta break at midday. If someone wanted to shoot constantly, they could shoot 6,000 times a day.

This place had a shooting pro who looked over your shoulder while you shot, and gave pointers on what you were doing right or wrong.

The feature explained that the doves do not migrate and that they raise young around 8 or ten times a year. When the young are three months old, they begin mating as well.