SuperNova Chamber Finish Issues...Anyone?

shotgunNoob

Hey there-

This question surfaced earlier, but I thought I would "renew" it. I have a SuperNova Tactical and noticed something weird going on with the interior finish of the chamber. There are 3 areas, all located where the barrel "slides" into the receiver chamber, that are missing the black coating found on the rest of the chamber interior. These areas are somewhat gold/silver in color and seem to be relatively symmetrical in their distribution. These areas extend roughly 2 1/2 to 3" into the chamber. When the barrel is installed you can hardly see them, if at all.

Now, I contacted Benelli and they said that, upon looking at one of the shotguns they had, it is considered "normal" and would probably not be considered warranty worthy. They claimed that these areas were intentionally left bare for fitment purposes. Im somewhat dubious about this.

Anyway, I have fired many rounds through this gun without issue and everything seems to work/fit properly. However, I am concerned about this exposed metal. I realize this is aluminum, but Im sure it can eventually begin to oxidize. I try to put a light coat of lubricant on these areas every 3 months or so. Still...this seems like an unneccessary problem. Any thoughts?

?action=view&current=4526d977.jpg

Edited by shotgunNoob

4526d977.jpg

7e6b92a6.jpg

Just took these photos to give you guys a better idea of what Im dealing with here. Again, Benelli considers this "normal" and not worthy of a warranty claim. Sorry about the image quality. I couldnt find my good camera, so the cell phone had to do. Either way, you get the idea. So, are these odd looking areas going to pose a problem or not? I understand that, due to the chamber/receiver being aluminum, rust isnt as big of an issue. However, better to be safe than sorry I suppose. Thoughts?

Edited by shotgunNoob

I took a peek at mine and it is the same those patches are where the guns skeleton is exposed. I assume it is made that way so the barrel rests on a surface that doesn't wear like the polymer skin/overcoat. Basically the same way a polymer framed hand gun has metal inserts at major wear and high stress areas.

I took a look in mine and the same thing is happening too. I am not to worried about it though. This is the receiver and the barrel slips into it and the chamber is in the barrel not the receiver. I am assuming this is from the pressure and stress that shooting a shell causes. If it does bother you I would have gunsmith redo the finish or try spray coating that you can spray and bake on a new coating. Check out the link.

www.sportsmansguide.com and use item number HX8A-96464