Mag tube+ Spring + Follower = Shell Capacity

MickGIS

Guest cleefurd
cleefurd/kip:

Question for you.

What are the pros and cons of using the OEM follower vs. the Nordic follower in the carriercomp magazine tubes? Since you make the tubes, I think you would be in the best position to comment on the above question.

Thanks!

ANY aftermarket FL tube will give the same capacity, which is dictated by the barrel's front band proximity/distance from the receiver face. Translation; the culprits in altered capacity are directly related to shell length, internal cumilative space taken up by spring, follower, and spring retainer, which can NOT be affected by the mag tube design, since it does not change the placement/distance of the barrel nut from the receiver face.

While the "pros" are set forth by Nordic claims, and the "cons" are 2nd hand details we each encounter either personally or via cyber-space, the only one I have 1st hand experience with is my next door neighbor, who is in local law enforcement, he was REQUIRED to fore-go the use of the Nordic follower and re-install the OEM unit for range safety considerations. The OEM follower permits rapid visual confirmation of mag tube status with its red insert indicating "empty". This policy applies to ALL their tubular fed shot-guns, where in even Mossbergs, Rem's, etc will require a "high-vis" follower for status checks by range safety personnel. We have red delrin stock in hand for just this reason. Ultimately we will provide OEM type followers being aluminum with red insert given sufficient demand, once we catch up on current projects. Hope this helps.

Edited by cleefurd

The OEM follower is superior because it is lighter.

This means that inertia and recoil affect it less which lessen the chance of cycling/jamming issues shooting heavy loads.

I have tested this. It is fact in my experience. The aftermarket follower used was an aluminum Surecycle.

Ultimately we will provide OEM type followers being aluminum with red insert given sufficient demand, once we catch up on current projects. Hope this helps.

Dear Kip,

That you intend to produce aftermarket followers suggests that you find some deficiency in the OEM follower. What deficits do you find in the OEM follower and how will you improve upon it?

BTW, I have received your titanium mag tube and it is WONDERFUL in fit and finish. Easily one of the most impressive aftermarket gun modifications I have purchased for any firearms. Thanks!

Dear Kip,

That you intend to produce aftermarket followers suggests that you find some deficiency in the OEM follower. What deficits do you find in the OEM follower and how will you improve upon it?

BTW, I have received your titanium mag tube and it is WONDERFUL in fit and finish. Easily one of the most impressive aftermarket gun modifications I have purchased for any firearms. Thanks!

Again, not Kip, but he has expressed interest in creating 922R compliance parts for those who concern themselves with it. I think the follower is one such item he has in mind. Ergo, it is not a deficiency of the follower itself, but its origin.

I've not been reading these forums for very long, but I can't recall anyone having any trouble with the OEM magazine follower. I think the only reason to swap it out is that its a 922r compliance part. It is relatively inexpensive to purchase (so I asume it is relatively inexpensive to produce as well) and easy to replace on the firearm. It's an "easy win."

I've not been reading these forums for very long, but I can't recall anyone having any trouble with the OEM magazine follower. I think the only reason to swap it out is that its a 922r compliance part. It is relatively inexpensive to purchase (so I asume it is relatively inexpensive to produce as well) and easy to replace on the firearm. It's an "easy win."

I agree, if Kip makes a follower that is:

as light as OEM

as "small" as OEM

I will buy it, and I cannot see Kip producing a part inferior to OEM.

Guest cleefurd
Dear Kip,

Many many thanks for the compliment.

There are no known defects to the OEM follower. Any changes we make will have the sole function of bearing un-deniable difference (however subtle) from OEM follower, so that it is obviously not the import part.