Benelli R1 270 WSM: shooting report

Barracuda

I decided to share some info with all of you. All we know that R1 is very picky when you need to decide what ammo to use. For now I'm able to use only factory loaded ammunition, so my goal was to find a right ammo for my R1. First, I tried Winchester XP3 150 grain bullets. The best group I've made was 3-4 MOA, which was completely unacceptable for me. Bullets were all over on the paper. I even thought something is wrong with a scope or mounts?! By the way, I want to thank Tucker for his help with resolving this issue.

I didn't touch the scope but bought Federal Nosler Accubond 140 grain bullets. So, I tried them yesterday. All I can say is that it's a very accurate bullet and seems that my rifle liked them. Final group is on the picture!

P.S. I also tried this ammo on 200 and 300 meters ranges and was very pleased with the results. Average 1-1.5 MOA.

Image001-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I have visited Silverdale Gun Range today here in Ontario to finaly check my Benelli before upcoming hunting season. I haven't shot my rifle since last time I posted a report here. I did a full cleaning after it and the rifle was sitting in a safe. I wanted to check few things such as:

1. Zero change after disassembling and full cleaning.

2. Accuracy.

3. 200 meters results.

Weather conditions: temperature - 24C, wind - W20 km/h, humidity - 52%.

Silverdale has few ranges, one of them is a combained 100/200 yards. The actual distance was 98 and 191 accordingly (all measurements were done with Leopold RX-IV). I only shot 3 times on 100 yards and then shot another 3 on 191 ... Ammo - Ferderal AccuBond 140 gr.

Here is my result on 100 yards:

Untitled-1.jpg

The group above is even a little bit better than my previous one. As far I can see, disassembling doesn't affect Zero as far as a lug bolt is tight.

Accuracy is very good, especially for semi-auto. Unfortunately, I couldn't check 200 meters results as planned because the range was significantly shorter. At 191 yards, all bullets were within 1 MOA even in consideration of very strong wind with gusts up to 35 km/h.

I wish you all a very enjoable and interesting hunting season!

Hello!

I have visited Silverdale Gun Range today here in Ontario to finaly check my Benelli before upcoming hunting season. I haven't shot my rifle since last time I posted a report here. I did a full cleaning after it and the rifle was sitting in a safe. I wanted to check few things such as:

1. Zero change after disassembling and full cleaning.

2. Accuracy.

3. 200 meters results.

Weather conditions: temperature - 24C, wind - W20 km/h, humidity - 52%.

Silverdale has few ranges, one of them is a combained 100/200 yards. The actual distance was 98 and 191 accordingly (all measurements were done with Leopold RX-IV). I only shot 3 times on 100 yards and then shot another 3 on 191 ... Ammo - Ferderal AccuBond 140 gr.

Here is my result on 100 yards:

Untitled-1.jpg

The group above is even a little bit better than my previous one. As far I can see, disassembling doesn't affect Zero as far as a lug bolt is tight.

Accuracy is very good, especially for semi-auto. Unfortunately, I couldn't check 200 meters results as planned because the range was significantly shorter. At 191 yards, all bullets were within 1 MOA even in consideration of very strong wind with gusts up to 35 km/h.

I wish you all a very enjoable and interesting hunting season!

That is great accuracy. I personally think people buy the winchester xp3s and such, for looks. I have had the best luck with federal ammo to. Good luck to you as well.

That is great accuracy. I personally think people buy the winchester xp3s and such, for looks. I have had the best luck with federal ammo to. Good luck to you as well.

Yeah, you are right, I personally like the look of XP3 too :) Thank you and good luck with your Benelli. I hope other thread on this forum will be updated soon with some nice pics!

:) Tucker, I think I will disappoint you ... I'm not gonna use this rifle for target shooting and the main purpose of placing some shooting info here was to show that R1 can shoot accurately. We both know some "general" concerns about R1's accuracy and you personally helped me to resolve some of them. I bought this rifle mainly for deer but I will be hunting moose and bear this year with it. Now I know that for this purpose I can use my R1 successfully and I even wouldn't hesitate to make 400-500 yards shots if needed. But this rifle wasn't bought to be a "queen of sub MOA". It shoots well, it's accurate - that's all I need for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...