Benelli SuperNova For Turkey Hunting

outdoorsurveys

Years ago I started turkey hunting using a scope. During that time I never missed a gobbler if I had a decent head/neck shot. I did screw up plenty of times in terms of spooking a bird, but never screwed up a good shot. Then I started hunting with iron sights. Again, I went several years without missing and then somehow, someway, I missed a 20 yard shot. I couldn’t believe it. What a disappointment in myself. I searched the internet and found it isn't that uncommon with today’s tight chokes to miss a 20 yard shot with an open sight- just being off a hair with an iron sight will throw your pattern above, to the left or right etc. I decided to go back to where my comfort zone is...using a scope. I purchased the Benelli Super Nova with the Steady Grip.

You can see the rest of my set up clicking the link below.

http://www.outdoorsurveys.com/The_Perfect_Turkey_Gun.html

Will it guarantee I’ll never miss a close shot again? Absolutely not, but my confidence level is now back at 100% again after having once wavered. If you don’t’ have 100% confidence with your shot, you’re already at a disadvantage and hunting just isn’t as fun. I just want the challenge to find a bird and getting him into range, I don’t then need to be wondering if I’ll be on or off my mark. If you enjoy open sights and have the confidence you need…then stick with what makes you happy and best of luck this Spring regardless of what you choose to use.

Gary

on your website i read the following:

"Red Dot scopes will work (i just don't like the fact

you can see the red in the end of the scope (from

Turkey's perspective)"

i don't think you can actually see the red dot or holo sight from the other end of the gun.

can the aimpoint/eotech owner verify that? if i remember correctly, it specifically says on the eotech website, that the dot is NOT visible from the "enemy's" perspective.

no, really, i don't think you can see anything from the other sight of a red dot sight, either aimpoint or eotech. dunno about chinese sights though, maybe skeeter can tell you more bout it?

Hey now, I dont know sh-t about those china-man sights!!;) i just said i likey there lights!!:D

Edited by texas skeeter

Xamoel,

I think you're on target with your last comment. I know I have seen a red dot type scope on a cross bow that when turned on, you could be 20 feet away and someone holding the bow (uncocked and not notched of course) and see a red glow from the site (not so much the beam but a terribe red reflection from the lens). I have a friend who loves his red dot scope but told me that on extremely foggy mornings he can litterally see a beam projection and not a just a dot. Not sure what brand he uses.

With the growth and popularity of red dot scopes, I imagine a lot of the better ones do not have the "red reflection or glare of the lens" I'm referring to. However, I do know from observing bulletin boards that quite a few of the red dots on the market do not hold up well over time to the robust kicks from high powered shells. Something I have never observed happening on a decent brand traditional scope with the hard kicks of high powered rifles.

Another reason I went to a traditional scope is as I'm aging my eye sight "ain't" what it use to be and I need the help of good magnification (3 to 5 range preferred) and most Red Dot scopes on the market don't offer magnification (though I know they are starting to introduce more and more that do). There's always the battery to deal with too. I know half the time I would rememember to turn off and probably sometimes I would be picking my gun up the next day or next week and be scolding myself for having left the battery on and then asking myself if it should be changed or not. It all boils down to a matter of preference. If we are talking crossbow where must shots taken are very very close and there is no heavy blow, then as far as I'm concerned there would be no other consideration except to use a red dot scope and just deal with remembering to always turn the darn thing off. From my observation of blogs the red dot type scopes have a great following and are (in my opinion) more popular than the old traditional standbys for turkey hunting. Each individual just has to ask what features do they need and which are they not willing to deal with. I asked that of myself, thought it over carefully and the Nikon shotgun scope 2x7 with a traditional cross hair won out. Good hunting.

Xamoel,

I think you're on target with your last comment. I know I have seen a red dot type scope on a cross bow that when turned on, you could be 20 feet away and someone holding the bow (uncocked and not notched of course) and see a red glow from the site (not so much the beam but a terribe red reflection from the lens). I have a friend who loves his red dot scope but told me that on extremely foggy mornings he can litterally see a beam projection and not a just a dot. Not sure what brand he uses.

With the growth and popularity of red dot scopes, I imagine a lot of the better ones do not have the "red reflection or glare of the lens" I'm referring to. However, I do know from observing bulletin boards that quite a few of the red dots on the market do not hold up well over time to the robust kicks from high powered shells. Something I have never observed happening on a decent brand traditional scope with the hard kicks of high powered rifles.

Another reason I went to a traditional scope is as I'm aging my eye sight "ain't" what it use to be and I need the help of good magnification (3 to 5 range preferred) and most Red Dot scopes on the market don't offer magnification (though I know they are starting to introduce more and more that do). There's always the battery to deal with too. I know half the time I would rememember to turn off and probably sometimes I would be picking my gun up the next day or next week and be scolding myself for having left the battery on and then asking myself if it should be changed or not. It all boils down to a matter of preference. If we are talking crossbow where must shots taken are very very close and there is no heavy blow, then as far as I'm concerned there would be no other consideration except to use a red dot scope and just deal with remembering to always turn the darn thing off. From my observation of blogs the red dot type scopes have a great following and are (in my opinion) more popular than the old traditional standbys for turkey hunting. Each individual just has to ask what features do they need and which are they not willing to deal with. I asked that of myself, thought it over carefully and the Nikon shotgun scope 2x7 with a traditional cross hair won out. Good hunting.

Dang, i have'nt had to read this much since college!!:D now i need a nap!!:p