SBE Chokes

Tinsel

What is the equivalent of the open bore. Does that mean that I need to remove the choke and shoot without a choke in order to shoot with a sabot slug? Or what chokes can I use with slugs?

What is CL?

IC must be improved Cylinder. Is IC longer range than IM?

What is the equivalent of the open bore. Does that mean that I need to remove the choke and shoot without a choke in order to shoot with a sabot slug? Or what chokes can I use with slugs?

What is CL?

IC must be improved Cylinder. Is IC longer range than IM?

Never shoot your shotgun without a choke tube installed!

CL=cylinder

IC=improved cylinder

M=modified

IM=improved modified

F=full

Cylinder choke is the most open choke and there is a gradual restriction for each choke as you work into the full choke which, in standard chokes, has the tightest restriction.

For a sabot slug, I believe you can use up to a modified although C and IC are recommended. Start with the cylinder and use a pattern board at 40yds to test for consistant grouping.

That helps, thanks. I was not sure because the book that I was looking at mentioned open bore, rather than cylinder.

I maybe should shoot clays with a CL, or a IC, rather than an M. I actually used an IM which was way off, than I went to an M, but now I will just use a CL.

I will take your advice with the slugs, but what would use use when shooting with a full choke? Is that for bird shot such as shot 8 or 9?

That helps, thanks. I was not sure because the book that I was looking at mentioned open bore, rather than cylinder.

I maybe should shoot clays with a CL, or a IC, rather than an M. I actually used an IM which was way off, than I went to an M, but now I will just use a CL.

I will take your advice with the slugs, but what would use use when shooting with a full choke? Is that for bird shot such as shot 8 or 9?[/quote]

Full choke is for lead shot only.

As for clays,

Skeet - IC/improved cylinder(I use skeetI)

Trap - modified or I prefer Improved Modified

Well buck shot is lead. Is it safe to use a full choke and shoot buck shot. I don't think that buck is meant to be shot at birds but a full choke would mean that buck shot would travel quite some distance, perhaps comparable to a slug using CL.

I would use the buck shot at an indoor range where the lane is only about 160 feet long but if it is fine to use a FC, than I would put that to the test.