12ga Vs. 20ga

CWP147

For deer hunting the 20 gauge seems to be more popular, at least around these parts thats what I have noticed. My question is why? What about the 20 would people prefer over a 12 for a white tail?

Here about 70% of the people shoot 12 gauge, 15% 20 gauge, 10% black powder, and 5% handgun.

Other than recoil, I don't see an an advantage over 12 gauge.

Here midgets and some girls use 20's. All others use rifles and12's.

I'm beginning to believe thats the only reason. I've been searching the web for other reasons and have come up with nothing. Other than recoil and "just because", there are no reasons why the 20 is so popular around my area. Personally, all I have ever used for anything is a 12. If it aint broke dont fix it, right? Well a 12 certainly aint broke!

I dont know, just for the sake of curiosity I am going to keep snooping around on the subject :rolleyes:

I could see 20's being popular in areas where slugs are the rule (no buckshot). Even then, I'd rather shoot the 12, but some folks don't like the recoil.

Well thats the rule around here. Slugs only, its always been illegal for buckshot, but a few years ago the law was changed and it was shotgun only in this part of the state so people use the 20 for some reason. Im trying to understand why haha

Gotta be lower recoil. 12 is going to have more velocity and more energy.

Ive also read something about more accuracy, but I dont know if I believe that. After seeing what my SBE2 can do accuracy wise, I just dont believe anything short of a rifle could be any more accurate.

Ive also read something about more accuracy, but I dont know if I believe that. After seeing what my SBE2 can do accuracy wise, I just dont believe anything short of a rifle could be any more accurate.

Maybe true. But that will also depend on which slug/shotgun combo you would be using.