Montefeltro vs Legacy weight question

redpygmy

Hello, I am a new forum member. Today I purchased a new Montefeltro 12 ga. I shot a friend's Legacy and loved it. The price of the Legacy was somewhat higher than the Montefeltro and since engraving has little interest for me I went with the wood stocked 12 ga. with the blued receiver. I assume that both guns are pretty much the same except for polish and adornments. When I looked at the online specifications the Legacy weighs in at 7.4 pounds and my gun weighs 7.1 pounds. If someone out there can explain the design difference to account for the different weight I would appreciate the info. I'm all for carrying less weight but the questions begs to be asked. Thanks

Larry

Fullerton, CA

The Montefeltro is designed for Sporting Clays and hunting where less weight is an advantage when shooting sometimes fast moving and “erratic” targets. Hunters carrying a gun through the field all day prefer a lighter gun. Sporting Clays shooters often (but not always) prefer a lighter gun for its faster swing that allows quicker target acquisition. In fact some hunters may prefer the Benelli Ultra Light at just over 6 pounds for the 12 gauge.

The Legacy is designed for shooting trap and skeet. A heavier gun is an advantage for targets that fly with consistent speed and trajectory. The Legacy is a “fancier,” and that is important for some trap and skeet shooters.

Reliability and build are the same for both guns. It’s the weight difference that provides specific advantages for different sports.

--Spike

Hello, I am a new forum member. Today I purchased a new Montefeltro 12 ga. I shot a friend's Legacy and loved it. The price of the Legacy was somewhat higher than the Montefeltro and since engraving has little interest for me I went with the wood stocked 12 ga. with the blued receiver. I assume that both guns are pretty much the same except for polish and adornments. When I looked at the online specifications the Legacy weighs in at 7.4 pounds and my gun weighs 7.1 pounds. If someone out there can explain the design difference to account for the different weight I would appreciate the info. I'm all for carrying less weight but the questions begs to be asked. Thanks

Larry

Fullerton, CA

The primary weight difference is the result of the design.

You'll note that the Legacy has the same design feature of the SBE, a full length steel barrel which incorporates the top of the reciever, the bottom portion is alloy where as the Montefeltro has a full alloy reciever, which accounts for the lighter weight.

I am still shooting the Montefeltro I purchased years ago when Benelli introduced this gun. It remains my preferred all-around hunting gun.

I’m going to purchase another Benelli for upland game, and am trying to decide between the Ultra Light and the Vinci.

--Spike

Decisions, decisions. Whatever you choose won't be a bad decision...for upland...although the Ultra Light would be, uh, lighter.:D

That's exactly what I was looking for. Maybe after I feed 100,000 rounds of heavy loads I might have to buy another gun..... but I doubt it. Thanks!

I've been shooting an HK/Benelli SBE since 1989, including a lot of 3-1/2" loads in the early years of steel shot shell developement with 0 problems. I did have to have the recoil spring replaced after 18 years. Compared to most of the gas shotguns, the Benelli SBE is light. I also had a 20ga x 24" Montefeltro which weighed 5.5 lb. that I used for skeet and upland. Loved the weight and the feel.

Edited by hattles

Decisions, decisions. Whatever you choose won't be a bad decision...for upland...although the Ultra Light would be, uh, lighter.:D

I really like my Montefeltro (I have an early model) since I consistently hit wild pheasants with this gun. I suspect now it’s as mental/confidence thing that provides even better results.

I need another autoloader for upland hunting, and that’s why I’m looking at the new Benelli Ultra Light and the Vinci. The Ultra Light feels (when mounting and pointing) very similar to my Montefeltro (which I dearly love), except that it’s about a pound lighter.

Since I always hunt with a dog, I’m the guy that walks through the cornfield, works the CRP, etc. …working the birds towards the lazy-ass blockers waiting to capitalize on my sweat-effort. A 6 pound gun looks very attractive to the guy who spends his entire day walking and carrying the gun.

But, the Vinci (which is a little heavier) feels so good… mounts so easily… points so well.

:confused: cannot decide. I’ll probably end up buying two guns.

--Spike

• 1 year later...

I bought my Montefeltro 20 ga. a few weeks ago and I love it. At 5 1/2 lbs it is a dream to shoot. I shoot alot of sporting clays and do alot of upland bird hunting in the south and midwest. I also shoot an old 1953 12 gauge Browning Superposed 12 gauge, but that gun just had a factory restoration and It will not be used much more. I am considering another Benelli probably a Vinci or Legacy in 12ga. Will probably blow all my Christmas money on it.