Black Cloud Snow Goose?

jonesbb630

Tucker, what chokes do you use, factory or aftermarket?

Depends on where I am hunting and what I'm expecting the birds to be doing.

The other day I used factory IC, and I could have used something more open. Woodies were coming in and almost knocking our hats off.

Later in the season I will use my Black Cloud Mid-Range choke for shy puddlers and divers.

Shooting a SBE2 I purchased the Carlson's Long Range extended choke tube, and patterned them with the Black Cloud Shells. Had a hard season last year, hit many ducks that didn't die on impact, and mutliple missed shots. I started shooting the Black Cloud shells without patterning them first, and I after looking at the pattern I won't use them again. Tried three different rounds: 3.5" BB, 3" #2, and 3.5" #2. All were great at 30 yrds, no difference between the shell as far as the pellets on the pattern, but over 30 feet the pattern was very poor. Tried 40 yrds and 50 yrds and the pattern is spread out significantly.

Shooting a SBE2 I purchased the Carlson's Long Range extended choke tube, and patterned them with the Black Cloud Shells. Had a hard season last year, hit many ducks that didn't die on impact, and mutliple missed shots. I started shooting the Black Cloud shells without patterning them first, and I after looking at the pattern I won't use them again. Tried three different rounds: 3.5" BB, 3" #2, and 3.5" #2. All were great at 30 yrds, no difference between the shell as far as the pellets on the pattern, but over 30 feet the pattern was very poor. Tried 40 yrds and 50 yrds and the pattern is spread out significantly.

Did you try any other choke combination beside the long range extended tube?

Did you try any other choke combination beside the long range extended tube?

Haven't tried any other choke tube, never have tried any before purchasing the Carlson's, so still new to using them for duck or goose hunting. My hunt club partner purchased the Carlson's Mid Range choke tube as he was shooting black clouds as well, and the pattern on that wasn't any better. We are in the process of getting our property ready for duck opener (October 22nd, in Iowa), so I went out and purchased a few boxes of different shells to try out. Also, I've switched to just the factory modified choke that Benelli SBE2 supplies you with. I'm wondering if it will pattern better.....we don't take many shots over 50 yards.