Need help deciding if a M2 Tactical is right for me

Blade37db

Boy am I glad I found this place. I recently had the chance to hold a M2 Tactical with the ComforTech stock and loved it. I only recently discovered shotgun shooting (having only shot handguns and rifles prior). The only shotgun I have ever fired is a Saiga 12. I've never shot a pump action.

I've read about Benelli's inertia system and how the recoil is more than gas guns. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has a Benelli or a range that has them to rent. I would just use it at the range and as a home defense weapon.

My question is: how does the recoil of a M2 compare to a Saiga 12? The Saiga did have a slip on recoil pad and I found it to be manageable. Probably shot 25-30 rounds through it. I'm about 5'10 170lbs. Is the M2 the right gun for me.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Blade37db

• 1 month later...

I’m not the expert but….what I have seen it does not matter what your size is, but how you shoot. I’m 6’ and 290lbs and I don’t like shooting my Mossberg 12G pump, anything more than bird shot kills my shoulder… but my 18 year old step daughter (110lbs 4’9’’tall) can sling 00 buck out of it like it is going out of style…you can see it kick like a mule but it doesn’t bother her…You might have to just shoot one to really know. Where do you live? I would be glad to let you shoot mine…

Boy am I glad I found this place. I recently had the chance to hold a M2 Tactical with the ComforTech stock and loved it. I only recently discovered shotgun shooting (having only shot handguns and rifles prior). The only shotgun I have ever fired is a Saiga 12. I've never shot a pump action.

I've read about Benelli's inertia system and how the recoil is more than gas guns. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has a Benelli or a range that has them to rent. I would just use it at the range and as a home defense weapon.

My question is: how does the recoil of a M2 compare to a Saiga 12? The Saiga did have a slip on recoil pad and I found it to be manageable. Probably shot 25-30 rounds through it. I'm about 5'10 170lbs. Is the M2 the right gun for me.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I have never fired an M2, but I would recommend an M4 instead.

I’m not the expert but….what I have seen it does not matter what your size is, but how you shoot. I’m 6’ and 290lbs and I don’t like shooting my Mossberg 12G pump, anything more than bird shot kills my shoulder… but my 18 year old step daughter (110lbs 4’9’’tall) can sling 00 buck out of it like it is going out of style…you can see it kick like a mule but it doesn’t bother her…You might have to just shoot one to really know. Where do you live? I would be glad to let you shoot mine…

+1, who cares about height weight? I have some Indian (India) friends and at the time, they weighed about 140# a piece. They could fire my .44 magnum like it was a BB gun. Accurate and no flinch at all with 240gr full-house loads. My former USMC roommate at 180# couldn't come within FEET of the target due to massive flinch.

We are talking 12G shot guns...not hand guns.

I let a 14 year old kid shoot 3" #4 buckshot out of my M4S90. His comment afterward was "Wow, I was expecting a lot more. That's not bad."

[video=youtube;vW-8Kakrdtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-8Kakrdtc&feature=related

People like this make me laugh at the men who claim they can't handle a 12 gauge. (Of course, some medical conditions preclude it with good reason, obviously).

Edited by Unobtanium

OK, I see where you're going with this...However, it depends on the person...you pump 6-8 rounds of 00buck or slugs and you might not want to shoot it anymore...one or two shots is not bad...but you shoot 6-8 consecutive shots with a gun you're not comfortable with and your shoulder is going to pay the price...I don't know anyone who can not handle the recoil on these guns but I know a lot of people who do not like to use them because of the recoil...

If you use the shotgun in a home defense situation, you will not notice the recoil at all. As for practice at the range, cowboy up! I usually shoot 2 3/4" field loads for practice with some 00 buck in the mix and always seem to be able to walk away to shoot another day. You might feel it in your shoulder later, but you will survive.

I remind my daughter and son to keep it snug up against their shoulder and they never have a problem either. If you hold it loose, the felt recoil is increased.