M1 Super 90 stuck end cap

Dalton916

This afternoon I noticed my mag follower was stuck and would not allow me to feed shells in. Immediately I knew what the problem was....I hunted salt water at the end of duck season then had truck trouble on the way home. I had taken the gun apart and wiped it down when I was finished hunting, but with the truck trouble and the loooooooong trip home because of it, I forgot to fully disassemble and clean it.

When I went to take the end cap off it was stuck as well and the entire magazine unthreaded from the receiver. I know there's magazine extensions available for this gun so at some point in time this thing is designed to come out, my question is, how aggressive can I get in getting this out or is there an easy way to secure the tube while I try to loosen the end cap?

The magazine tube isn't really "designed" to come out routinely. Extensions replace the cap, not the whole tube. The tube is usually secured with a form of Loctite unless yours has been out before and wasn't re-Loctited. It usually takes a heat gun to loosen the loctite before the tube will come out of the receiver. If yours was loctited and still came out, that cap is mighty stuck. I'd try a light penetrating oil, let it stand for a while, maybe a couple of days of oiling it. You don't want to be too agressive in clamping down on the tube because it's relatively thin and not nearly as strong as, say, the barrel. A rubber strap wrench around the tube next to the end cap and another one on the end cap might do it. You can still crush the tube with a strap wrench so you don't want to muscle it too much.

Edited by truckcop

If you find yourself needing to apply strap wrenches to the magazine tube, or support the magazine tube in a vise you should consider supporting the inside of the tube to maintain its internal diameter; even the slightest deformation / indentation will prevent the cartridges from feeding properly. Place the largest socket wrench, usually a deep socket style) diameter that will fit inside the tube and only secure the magazine segment in a vise that is so supported. (a hard wood dowel also will work). As, necessary, applying a few winds of painters tape to the outside of the socket wrench will allow you to best fit the support to the inside tube diameter; you want the support to a few thousandths larger than the cartridge rim.

To protect the outside of the tube and prevent it from spinning about in the vise, wrap the magazine in 1-2 layers of non-skid tool drawer liner......the soft rubber perforator style works well.

Edited by benelliwerkes

• 2 weeks later...

If the oil does'nt work, you could try a break free agent called "PB Blaster", available in the auto section of Walmart or any auto store. Thanks for the great info on saving that mag tube.

Edited by phm14

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 7/16" deep well socket is a perfect fit in side the tube. 2 channel locks and some thin leather to protect the surface/threads and I got the cap off. Cleaned and polished everything and put it all back together. Works like a charm again.

I have now developed a habit of unscrewing the cap at LEAST half way when I store it.

You can apply Permatex Anti-Seize lubricant (either the standard silver or the copper based) to the threads, snug the cap down and forget worrying about it; sold in almost all auto stores, comes in a small tube and a little will last years. The copper based type is what Glock applies to their slide contact points (not fool-proof, but also one way to consider whether a Glock that is being represented as new, really is new).