Terror SRM chokes

JohnE

I want to let everybody know what kind of jokes these chokes are. They are manufactured from 4130 steel which is inferior compared to 17-4ph SS used by most of the well-known choke manufactures. Now, the other guys at least warn you not to use steel shot higher than a certain speed with their IM or light full chokes (or no shot bigger than BB’s). Jeff instead promises you everything until he has your money and start explaining BS when the choke gets stuck in the barrel. A rogue that’s what he is.

I know it, because I ruined a new Benelli barrel with a 0.675 choke – after only one day of hunt with 1650fps #1 Kent rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks. I'm going out Monday morning with my new long range Carlson Black Cloud choke. My biggest concern is I have some black cloud ammo Duck Commander Snow Goose that shows 1650 fps on the box. Carlson recommends no more than 1500 fps stuff and a max of BBB. I'm debating on even using the 1650 stuff whereas I don't want to ruin my SBEII barrell. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Edited by jonesbb630
spell check

I just saw your posting and the advice might come late but here it is anyhow. You better use the recommended ammo by the choke manufactures. Thats why I warned everybody about the terror chokes. SRM uses a ****** material for their chokes and it does not warn you about the limitations. Remember, it is not the ammo which damages the barrel (in most cases at least :D) - it is the expanded/damaged choke which damages the seating choke area in the barrel or the threads of the barrel get damaged either by choke deformations or when you remove the expanded choke.

Edited by JohnE
spell check

I just saw your posting and the advice might come late but here it is anyhow. You better use the recommended ammo by the choke manufactures. Thats why I warned everybody about the terror chokes. SRM uses a ****** material for their chokes and it does not warn you about the limitations. Remember, it is not the ammo which damages the barrel (in most cases at least :D) - it is the expanded/damaged choke which damages the seating choke area in the barrel or the threads of the barrel get damaged either by choke deformations or when you remove the expanded choke.

Well, I didn't take any chance on it. Only used below 1500 fps Black Cloud stuff. Did notice one thing that even after tightening the choke with the wrench, after about my first box of ammo, the choke was loose a bit and had to re-tighten the choke. Was not too impressed with that. Is this normal for Carlson chokes?

• 3 weeks later...

I have always heard and stick with nothing tighter than a modified constriction when shooting steel or any Hard shot.and 1550 is the fastest,anything faster and its pandoras box.i say 1550 because thats what i have used and had no problems getting out chokes.I have never used terror chokes but even if this guy said i could shoot steel or hard non toxic shot through a .675 constriction i would tell him he is full of Sh**.I have a XX full turkey choke that mics at .670.it is lead only and i have put lead BB through it and it blows the pattern to crap.that tight of a choke likes #6 or #5.I would think you are very lucky to not have an emergency room visit.