Bolt wont close all the way on new M2

DanP

I bought a new M2 field version last week and the bolt wont close all the way. It stays open about 1/4". This is my first shotgun, so there is a good chance I'm making some stupid mistake, but I cant figure it out. I thought maybe it had to be loaded for the bolt to close all the way - I loaded one in the chamber and 2 in the mag and it still didnt close.

I stripped it all the way down, removing the trigger assembly and the bolt assembly and taking the bolt assembly apart. Put it back together - bolt still wont close. As far as I can tell, the bolt is hitting the barrel - I dont see how it could close. I tried the M2 tactical barrel I have and got the same results.

Another possibly related issue is that the carrier button will not close the bolt unless I give the bolt handle a push to break it free. Just pushing the button does nothing.

Any ideas? Is there a problem with the gun or is this operator error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1871[/ATTACH]

The bolt head rotates about 1/8th a turn into recesses in the barrel extension. First, your picture indicates that it hasn't rotated after going forward. The bolt has to go forward with enough force to cause the head to properly perform this rotation. Are you riding the bolt forward with your hand or letting it go under it's own power of the recoil spring? If you're babying it forward, quit doing that. Let the recoil spring perform as it is supposed to. Give it all a liberal spray/squirt of a good firearm lubricant. Run the bolt back and let it go on its own a bunch of times and see if the head starts rotating into position indicating the bolt has closed completely. You won't see the lugs on the head like in your picture and the extractor will appear closer to the top of the receiver, further up in the ejection port.

If it still doesn't work, call Benelli customer service and send it to back to them.

Edited by truckcop

Thanks again Truckcop. I was holding the bolt handle. After lube and letting it close on its own, its ok. I still have the issue where pushing the carrier button will not close the bolt unless I give the bolt handle a push. Hopefully that will fix itself after some break in time.

Thanks again Truckcop. I was holding the bolt handle. After lube and letting it close on its own, its ok. I still have the issue where pushing the carrier button will not close the bolt unless I give the bolt handle a push. Hopefully that will fix itself after some break in time.

This. Take it out and put some rounds through it and it should be fine.